macProVideo.com
Forums
  • The Cool Side Of Your Pillow
    Flex editing
    Hello there, my problem is that when I turn on Flex mode and choose one mode for an audio file (like polyphonic) it turns grey and I can't hear the sound anymore. When I turn the Flex to "none" again, the color appears again and I can again hear the track. Anyone has any idea what this means? Maybe it has to do with that I imported some WAVE files from a final cut project and imported them in Logic for editing, like Flex-editing (you might've already guessed something like that). At first flex editing went well, but after I imported those files, the mute/grey thing happened. I thought it had to do with the files being surround, so I changed them to stereo, but had the same problem, and now I even have this problem on the other tracks in the project, that worked before the import. Thanks for reading and helping, Michiel
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Flex editing
    Try convert the file to an AIFF file in Logic and see if it does the same thing. Right click on the audio file and go to Convert to New Audio File(s). Change the file format to AIFF.
    I did what you said, and made that file (and then the file in logic is automatically AIFF right, or do you have to import it again?) But I still have the same problem, it's muted again. Only it's darker grey than when you normally mute it, and the upper bar of the region stays colored.
  • GaryHiebner
    Thats very strange. Can you try start a new project and pull the same audio file in and see if it does the same thing? Need to try figure out if it is an issue with the audio file or the project.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Cool-Side, What version of Logic are you running?
    Yep, same problem. But now I see the normal (stereo) files that I recorded in the logic project DO WORK when I put them in flex mode. Only the ones that I imported from Final Cut not. I changed their outputs from "surround" to Stereo, but on the files itself, on the right behind the region name (in the arrange area) there's still this tiny pentagon, consisting of 5 small circles, what obviously means surround. So maybe they are still surround files and I should change them to stereo somehow, because logic doesn't support flexing surround files? I'll try to figure out if Final Cut also wants to output stereo files, maybe that will work...
    version 9.0.2 (there seems to be a newer one but it doesn't come with the updates, probably have to buy that)
  • GaryHiebner
    Yes, it sounds like the files are still surround sound format. Export them out of FCP as stereo files. Then import them into Logic.
    Ok, I got it to work! So you can't Flex-edit surround files in logic, that's good to know. But I found out something else: my audio file in FCPX was stereo, only he exported it as surround file, which I found really strange. Now I found out that Final Cut Pro X exports stereo files as Surround files, when you CHANGE the file type. So probably my audio file type was AAC, but I changed it to WAVE, so that's why FCPX exported it as surround file. (doesn't make complete sense to me, but who am I:P). So now I exported it as AAC File too, and it was stereo and now Flex-editing works! Below I added the complete explanation from the FCPX help window. Thanks for all your help. [i]"You can also choose a channel configuration when exporting roles as audio stems for mixing or post-production. See Export your project as media files. If you choose an export file channel configuration that is different from that of your source files, the channels are exported in the following ways: Stereo source exported as surround: The left and right channels are exported to the left and right channels of the surround file. Surround source exported as stereo: The surround source is exported as a stereo (left and right channel) mix. Stereo or surround source exported as mono: The stereo or surround source is exported as a mono (one channel) mix."[/i]
  • GaryHiebner
    Great, glad you sorted it out. And thanks for the FCPX description.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: