macProVideo.com
Forums
  • drusif
    file problems
    hey guys, im having trouble with my exs files. i had a sample pack and put it all on my external hard drive but i copied the sampler patch files into username/library/appsupport/logic/sampleinstruments but if i open my project with out the hard drive plugged in it wont load the files! any one no why this is and how i fix it? cheers
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: file problems
    Hey drusif, Where are the actual samples located? Sounds like they are on the external hard drive. Move them to the location of the EXS sampler patch and all should be fine :)
  • drusif
    yea there in the exs sampler folder! also got a copy of them on the hard drive, ive used them before fine with out the hard drive plugged in. took it round my mates earlier whos pretty good with logic and he said there all fine and was baffled! its not a big problem to have the hard drive plugged in all the time but i shouldnt have to really should i? ive been doing it fine up until now and its just gone funny
  • Rounik Admin
    hmmm... sounds like EXS24 is trying to reference the original location of the samples (i.e. the external HD). OK. Disconnect the HD and copy the samples for that EXS24 patch into a folder named the same as the patch and place it in the folder where you've got the patch. Also, what options does the EXS24 give when it can't locate the samples?
  • drusif
    errrm? i dont really understand that lol, so ive disconnected the hard drive, done what you said and it comes up with cant find such and such exs. continue or search again. this shouldnt matter cause there in both but, should they be in general library or user library?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey drusif, So, basically there's two basic elements for the EXS24 Sampler instrument... Imagine you're using a sampled drum kit... each of the samples is a separate audio file that was recorded... let's say there's 16 of these separate audio files... But how does Logic know which key on your keyboard to map which file to? And what about the various exs24 settings for each sample? Well, that's where the EXS24 Sampler Instrument patch file comes in handy. It's basically just a list of instructions telling the EXS24 which sample to place where and how it will sound. It's a very small file as it only contains the instructions and not the actual samples. So, the EXS24 sampler instrument patch needs to know where the actual audio sample files are so that when you hit C-1 (for example) a juicy Kick will be triggered! So, as long as you know where the samples are on your external drive then you can move them to the same location as the EXS24 sampler patch and if Logic gets needy and asks where the files are, then ask it to search again or locate them manually. After you find them once the link should be restored :) Hope this helps R
  • drusif
    ah brilliant, yea that makes sense! for some reason i was under the impression that the exs. file actually contained sounds! so if i wanted them to show up with out the hard drive i need the actual sounds in the sampler files folder but thats just taking up more space on my mac so ill just have to make sure the hard drive is plugged in all the time! thanks for clearing that up anyways rounik. top man!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: