macProVideo.com
Forums
  • jimandroz
    Creating a sample loop...
    Hi, I wish to create a sample loop. I realize that the green cycle button is supposed to be clicked however I'm not seeing it appear on the top of the arrange window. Also, once I have created the loop, I assume it will be saved by simply saving the project. One of the loops is in a different tempo. Will this loop with the different tempo maintain the settings as I move the newly created loop across the screen? I have an IMac and Logic Pro 8. Thanks for your help. Roz
  • jimandroz
    Re: Creating a sample loop...
    Silly me, I see the green loop can be created at the beginning of the piece. Wasn't thinking, sorry. But, do have the rest of the question regarding saving the loop if there are different tempos and will it save the settings I created and I will then be able to move it to different places in the song? Thanks! Roz
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Roz, Do you want a portion of the timeline to loop or do you want to create an audio file/loop which you can copy to other areas in your arrangement? For the cycle region, you should be able to click in the top half of the timeline. A few bars should go green. This will be your cycle region. You can change the length be dragging on either the left or right side and extend or decrease the size of the cycle region. You will also notice there are two section with location markers in the transport bar. the bottom is the locators of the cycle region. You will see when you change the length of the locators those digits in the second line change. If you wish to create a audio file/loop, set you cycle region. then record an audio file. This audio file will now be the length of the cycle region. Afterwards you can copy the audio region to different locations on the timeline. The audio file will be saved to your project as long as the "copy external audio files to project folder" it ticked when you save your project.
  • jimandroz
    Hi, Thanks Gary! Yes, I am interested in creating a audio file/loop that can be copied into other areas in my arrangement. I have played around with extending and decreasing which is good. Question: 1. When I copy, you mentioned to make sure to save to copy external files folder...is this a different save and where do I find this? 2. Can I both record and drag a sample loop into the cycle region and will this save both? 3. Can I save two different tempos on different tracks in the cycle region? 4. I am able to create a loop at the beginning of the arrangement. Is this where is it usually created? Thanks for all of you great help!!! Roz
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Roz, When you [b]File > Save As...[/b] (a copy of the audio file is saved in the [b]Audio Files[/b] folder under the Logic project. As long as you save with the external audio files box ticked your audio will be in that folder. If you copy an audio region to somewhere else in the project it be all still be there in the same project. Logic doesn't actually make duplicates of the audio file. It references that file. So if you copy a region to somewhere else in the arrangement it references to that audio files. But don't worry about all the specifics. What is important is that Logic will know where all these audio files reside. You cannot have two different tempos per track, but you can have different tempos set at different points on your timeline. Yes, you can create an audio loop/file at the beginning of the arrangement. It doesn't matter where you start the loop. You can move it anywhere on the timeline once you have recorded it. Just make sure you have your grid set to something like bar or beats so that the loop will move around in fixed amount to the grid. I really recommend that you have a look at the [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/logic9101[/url] tutorial. This will cover all the questions you have on getting into Logic and learning the interface and how it works. Martin Sitter explains the application and give handy tips on how to improve your understanding and work flow with Logic.
  • jimandroz
    Okay, this is good. I think I'm getting it. I will take a look at the tutorial you mentioned. Appreciate the quick response and great help Gary. Thanks! Roz
  • GaryHiebner
    Anytime Roz, Hope you are enjoying Logic. It is an amazing application and has made my music production process so much more efficient and creative.
  • jimandroz
    Hi Gary, I'm totally enjoying Logic and am amazed at how much it can do!! Today I actually had a good amount of time to explore and it was incredible. I am really trying to learn quickly as I was hired to be the composer for a TV Pilot at a College. It's a bit overwhelming, but the more I research and read I am finding that I think I can do this. There are two scripts that I will be composing music for and I will not be called in until the end of February,which is why I doing everything I can to get up to snuff. The pressures on because this will be my first time doing this as well as my first impression to the college. I have already created 3 CDs using Logic, you can check out my website at: www.goldwindmusic.com (Listen to Monday Morning and let me know what you think.) Yes, I adore Logic!! It is a godsend. I am very grateful. One of the TV scripts is cool (in my opinion) with some drama, suspense and sci-fi elements which I think I can get a handle on. The other one is silly and really not my style. It's about college students and love affairs and problems. Oh well, thinking about doing simple rock and roll type sounds (not my specialty). I am hoping that I will be able to use Logic and that it will be compatible with the program that the college has. I still have some questions, etc. such as is there a music editor, etc. Anyway, thanks again for all the great help. It is very appreciated!! Roz
  • jimandroz
    A quick question: When I... save as a copy of the audio file , should I save it in the music folder?. I usually see where I cam save in Logic folder, but am not seeing this...so where should I save the audio file? Do I rename it too? Sorry, I know I'm getting closer to understanding and have taken some steps forward.. Thanks Gary! Roz
  • GaryHiebner
    You don't need to choose or rename the audio files. Logic will do this all for you. Just make sure you save your Logic project and that the "save a copy of the external audio files to project files" is ticked. Then all the audio pertaining to that Logic project will be all in that folder.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: