macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Bob C
    Buses - saving resources
    I've seen posts on buses...read Skye's document on them...even use them, but not in the way I'm about to describe... At issue...I like to roll toms across the stereo spectrum. The issue is the same plugs are used on all the toms (using more resources than needed, pushing the CPU). By using the standard bus arrangement and putting plugs on the bus, there is no way to pan each of the drums, only bleed the effect onto the tom...that is, if the effect or plug resides only on the bus. Sometimes this works, but I've found, in at least one instance that when resources are stretched it becomes a problem...and sometimes the necessary separation of the sound is hard to pick-up in the mix. What I'm hoping you will explain in step-by step fashion...as I'm sure you will send me to the nether of "The Environment"...I know you guys don't think it is scary...but it is.... :-) Anyway, what I want to do, so I can use the panning effect for toms and save resources (CPU power), is send the sound in each channel to one bus and then bus it back to the original channel where it came from so I can then do the pan from left to right or left to right on each channel after the plugs have worked on the sound at the bus. What Skye alludes to is something like this, I think. There's probably a simpler answer...looking forwad to the input. Suggestions....please. Bob
  • Hamish H
    Re: Buses - saving resources
    Hi Bob I'd use a stereo buss myself. Any plugin you put on a stereo buss should keep the stereo image (i imagine). Once you've created the aux channel, click the Format button (bottom left of the channel strip, just above the name of the aux)until you have two linked circles and a stereo level meter. Does that work? I'm not at Logic right now to check Cheers Hamish
  • redlogic
    Re: Buses - saving resources
    Set the Output of the panned tom channel strips to an unused Bus. Make sure that the resulting Aux is [b]Stereo[/b]. You can also click hold on the send slot and select [b]Post Pan[/b]. Another option, is to use the Direction Mixer plug-in to pan the toms instead of the pan knobs on the channel strip.
  • Fubaveu
    Instead of using the bus as an output, use it as an insert affect. The sounds are then bussed in and out if the "inserted" plugins and back to their respective channels. Click and hold the send on the channel to choose per or post send and mix to taste.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: