macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cucemya
    Electronic Drums to make midi track
    Has anyone here used one of those electronic drum kits (like the V Drum) to make a midi drum track? Did you like the results?
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Electronic Drums to make midi track
    Do you want to use the V Drum samples or do you just want to use the V Drum as a MIDI controller (and assign other samples to the drum pads)?
  • Cucemya
    I want to have a real person make the drum track and not rely on loops. I live in a townhouse so noise is a problem. I thought that using electronic drums would help capture a human performance but keep the sound level down. Also let me edit afterwards. Is this common or are there problems involved?
  • GaryHiebner
    This is possible. Are your V Drums velocity sensitive? This will make a huge difference. You can assign each drum pad to a MIDI channel, then in Logic create MIDI channels for drum pad and assign a drum hit to each channel. The best would be to use the EXS24 Sampler. Then edit it so that the drums correspond to the respective drum pad MIDI channels you want to use.
  • GaryHiebner
    This is possible. Are your V Drums velocity sensitive? This will make a huge difference. You can assign each drum pad to a MIDI channel, then in Logic create MIDI channels for drum pad and assign a drum hit to each channel. The best would be to use the EXS24 Sampler. Then edit it so that the drums correspond to the respective drum pad MIDI channels you want to use.
  • Cucemya
    By using the EXS24 does that mean recording each pad to a separate track? I haven't purchased a drum kit yet. I want to research if this is possible before I spend the money.
  • GaryHiebner
    The EXS24 is Logic's sampler. It has some electronic and acoustic drum preset which you can browse through. The EXS24 allows you to assign different MIDI channel to different drum samples. So if you use MIDI drums like the V Drums you can assign the Kick sample in the EXS24 to the same MIDI channel as your Kick MIDI channel on the V Drum kit. You could save this setup as a template so that you don't have to set it up each time, as it does take a few minutes to set it all up. This is explained in some of the MacProVideo tutorials. I will have to take a quick look though and see which ones they are.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: