macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Tommy D
    Hearing vocal during pre roll in Logic 9
    Hi All, For some reason I can't hear any audio on a vocal track when setting up a pre roll. I would like to highlight a vocal line to re-do using the marquee tool and have a measure or two of pre roll but need the vocalist to hear the previous vocal line on the pre roll to punch in. Why is this so hard and not straightforward?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Hearing vocal during pre roll in Logic 9
    Hi Keysmia, Welcome to the forums! Have you setup Auto-Punch/Punch on the fly? :)
  • Tommy D
    Hi Thanks for the reply. I set up punch on the fly and turned off software monitoring(I read that somewhere)Can You explain What I need to do? You understand what I am trying to do. It would be so much easier to highlight a section I want to re do and and hear a two measure pre roll before I record the new vocal line.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi No need to turn off software monitoring, unless your audio interfaces handles direct monitoring and you're happy to monitor the input without hearing it going through Logic (and its effects chains). So... 1. Turn on Autpunch in the Transport 2. turn on Punch on the fly (Options > Audio > Punch on the fly) 3. Drag the red auto punch area over the part you wish to record over. 4. Position your playhead one measure before the auto punch stripe and hit record. You should be able to hear the existing audio on the track and once you're recording in the punch in area you'll be able to monitor what you're recording. Cheers R
  • Tommy D
    Thanks for the detailed response. can't I use the marquee tool to highlight the area I want to punch in and out of? It would make things move so much faster and when recording a vocalist you don't want to lose the flow.
  • Rounik Admin
    Not exactly... but there's more than one way to skin a cat in Logic when using key commands. There's two Punch In/Out modes in Logic Pro: Autopunch (which is what we set up earlier - although you DON'T need Punch-on-the-fly enabled for that mode) and... 'Punch on the fly' mode where you can toggle record mode... on the fly: Great if you are recording someone else. So for the later method: 1. Enable Punch on the fly (Options > Audio) 2. In the Key commands window find Record toggle and set it to a key command (e.g. Shift-R). 3. Record enable the track and hit Play. 4. When you reach the part you want to replace hit the Toggle Record shortcut to punch-in and hit it again to punch out. A take folder will be created and that equals minimum fuss, no mousing around and a happy vocalist in the flow. :)
  • Tommy D
    Thank you so much as you have been very helpful. I have been using Logic for a few years now but used Pro Tools for many years to track vocals. In Pro Tools I would use the highlighter to select what I wanted to record and it was quick and easy. I wanted to do the same here but I see that it is just different. I tried punch on the fly and auto punch and they both work fine. I am not even setting a pre roll just placing the pointer where I want it to begin. Thanks again.
  • Tommy D
    Wow I just realized that setting the pre roll was causing me to not hear the previous vocal. That's strange. I won't even set a pre roll now. Its a bit illogical
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem... but I'm a little embarrassed now as you can use the marquee selection to auto punch onto an audio track... (cue blush icon here) Simply drag with the marquee tool over a section of the audio region, record enable the track place the playhead where you'd like to start and hit record. The Marquee selection does indeed automatically set the auto punch locators and you should be fine monitoring the original audio before and after the auto punch area. ... as I said... more than one way in Logic !! :)
  • Rounik Admin
    Oh... but make sure you have Auto Input Monitoring enabled in Options > Audio > Auto Input Monitoring (otherwise you won't hear the original audio playback before and after the auto punch area.)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: