macProVideo.com
Forums
  • dynamicalan
    Locating a missing file using undo.
    Hello, I have a real old project that is on a my external hard drive and I was looking for a midi file that made an audio file. I opened the project up that I believe it was made on and it wasn't there. Well I went through the undo history and unfortunately it went back only 30 undo steps. So, my question is; is there a way to use a midi or region function to get around this. If no one wants to answer this I will understand. It may not be of interest and that is totally understandable. I hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks, Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Locating a missing file using undo.
    Hi Alan, If it was a MIDI file (not a region within the Arrange area), then you'll have to find it on your hard drive. Logic doesn't export MIDI files unless the user chooses to do so... and doesn't store MIDI files in a specific location, unlike audio files which are stored in the Bin (Audio Files sub folder of the project). Hope that helps R
  • dynamicalan
    Hello Rounik, how are you? yes it was a midi region meaning it wasn't an audio region but a region that's related to the piano roll editor. It was not exported as a midi file. I was just calling it that. I should have thought of the difference. I think a better question would be where does logic store midi regions. I also don't have the channel strip settings but those were not saved. Since the instrument was a Reaktor's Micro Prism and it wasn't saved. The type license isn't an issue because they allow the saving of channel strips settings which retains the individual plugin settings. I meant to save them and did but my hard drive crashed and I when I transferred the files to the external through another computer I forgot about the library. I mention this because it may be useful to someone, sometime as a lesson of something not to do. However, the channel strips are in a saved project, except for this one. Thanks for responding to the post. Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Alan, I'm well and hope you are too. MIDI regions aren't stored, like audio files, in Logic... all the MIDI region data, along with instrument, effect and channels strip settings are stored in the Logic project file. If you have a 'Project File Backups' folder in your Logic project in the finder i'd suggest you try out the least recent versions to see if you can find the original MIDI region(s)... Other than that, a Time Machine Backup, clone of that previous system or backup of the project on some other hard disk... I'm afraid you're out of luck retrieving those regions. Cheers R
  • dynamicalan
    Hay Rounik, I am glad to hear your doing well. I have several copies of the file stored on the external hard drive but they are all the same file. It's unusual that I would ever delete a region. I always mute it so I think it was just the way a newer computer copied the files from my unfunctional computer to my external drive. I had to locate the file according to date and I checked all the backups according to the date and time and checked the files the corresponded to that date and time. I do it that way because the audio files are given code names that don't exist in the info and the backups are symbols. Thanks for commenting back. Alan
  • Rounik Admin
    Sorry to hear it. Take care.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: