macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Justin B
    MIDI Data into Logic
    Hi. Long time MPV watcher. First time MPV poster. Im having trouble getting MIDI data into Logic. I want to use a KORG SP-250 connected to my iMac (10.7.2) through a Roland UM-ONE. I installed the UM-ONE's drivers and updates and when I test it under the Audio MIDI set up, the MIDI Out (out of the UM-ONE into the Korg) light blinks like it should. The USB Light is also lit. However the MIDI in (in to the UM-ONE) light never lights up, and when I use Logic, the message in the transport bar remains "No In." I checked the "Clicks & Ports" in the environment window and the UM-ONE is recognized and connected. I read the Korg manual and set the the transmission channel to channel 1. I plugged the UM-ONE cable labeled "Connect to MIDI In" to the MIDI In on the Korg, and the "Connect to MIDI Out" cable to the Midi Out on the Korg. The Korg works great when used as a digital piano, but this is my first time trying to use it as a MIDI controller. I am thinking the problem is with the KORG? I dont have any other controllers to test out this theory. What else have I missed? I looked through this forum and others but wasnt able to find anything covering this. Thanks for al your help!
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: MIDI Data into Logic
    Check first that the Roland Um-One MIDI device is being picked up in the Audio MIDI setup. Go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup. Then go to Window > View MIDI WIndow. If you do not see your MIDI device there, click rescan MIDI devices. Then go into Logic, and see if you are getting any MIDI signal. What MIDI connections does the Korg SP-250 have? Does it have a MIDI Out? You say it is being picked up in Logic, but is getting no signal? The problem may be with the UM-ONE. Have you used it before?
  • Justin B
    Hi Gary, Thanks for your response. I went to that Audio Midi Setup window, and I see the device there. When I click on "Test Setup" and the arrow leading from the Um-one to the external device in the setup window, the Out light on the um-one flashes. However, when I click on the "Test Setup" and the arrow leading from the external device to the Um-one, nothing happens. I am getting no signal in Logic. When I hit a key on the Korg keyboard, nothing happens in logic. No data is received in the transport bar nor in the clicks and ports of the environment window. The Korg SP-250 has a Midi In and a Midi Out. The um-one is brand new. Its possible I have a dud, but I dont think so, since the USB light lights up showing its connected to the Mac and I'm receiving Midi Out...or at least the Midi Out light lights when tested.
  • GaryHiebner
    I still think it may be the Um-One. Maybe take it back from where you bought it and get them to check it.
  • Justin B
    Ok Ill try this and let you know...Thanks again.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: