macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Vivisuy
    Killer Kick Drum
    I was listening to some Daft Punk last night and I realized something. The kick drums sound awsome! (song example: Around The World). How do they do that. I have searched Ultrabeat, Apple Loops, EXS24 kits, Battery and more. Just when I think I'm close I hear an example like this that tells me "keep searching". Does anyone know exactly what specific drum machine will produce a killer kick like Daft Punk? Their kick is tight, loud, clean and I can really Feel it even on an entry level car stereo. My kicks sound OK but they eventually will distort the average car stereo. I am convinced that I need a specific kick sound. Mixing technique won't help if I start with the wrong kick sam
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Killer Kick Drum
    The key is mixing multiple kick samples together. And then compressing and EQing them correctly to get the big sound. You will have different kick sounds for different elements. Such as a low kick for the lower registers. A kick that fill the mid frequencies, and a high kick which may also have more of the attack and punch of the kick. You'll compress these kick samples together to gel them together and bring them upfront in the mix. Take a look at Olav's brilliant tutorials on producing electronic music to get a better idea on building up electronic kicks and giving them more presence in your mix. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/live8404[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/live8402[/url] These are in Ableton, but they give great advice on building up kicks which can be applied in other DAWs like Logic as well.
  • Fubaveu
    The above post is great. A big thing of Daft Punks "sound" is their use of outboard compressors to help sweeten up their parts. See if you can find any videos about their productions. I'm fairly certain they use a few compressors on their kicks. There were some cool tutorials on here for electronic music that discusses using multiple compressors as well.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: