macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Am I really running in 64 bit mode?
    I got some news today that kind of harshed my buzz that I got by downloading the new WAVES 9 plugins. I was told, and it appears to be true, that my computer, a 2 x. 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon (MacPro1,1) cannot run anything natively in 64 bit mode. Why would Apple let me think I'm running in 64 bit mode when I can't? Is there still some advantage to running in 64 bit mode if you can't really do it? I swear when I went to 64 bit mode, I could add more plugins and instruments, and things did seem to be smoother. Or was that a placebo effect, and things seemed to run better because I expected them to run better. I actually didn't have that many problems in 32 bit, to be honest. So, the big question, is there anything to running something in 64 bit mode if the computer is hardwired to run in 32 bit mode?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Am I really running in 64 bit mode?
    Try this: - Select the Logic.app file in the Applications folder. - Hit Command-I - In the Get Info window do you have a checkbox for running Logic in 32-bit mode?
  • MorryNYC
    Hi, Rounik, Yep, that box is there, and it is unchecked, as it has been since I made the move to 64-bit. But I was informed today that my computer is hardwired for 32-bit, and if I go to the system profiler, and look under software, for "64-bit Kernel and Extensions" the answer listed is "No." And I was told by a tech guy that means that even though I uncheck the box for 32-bit mode in the info window for 64 bit applications, I'm really still only in 32 bit mode. Is that the case, or is there some part of the equation I and he are missing? Thanks for all the help! best wishes, M
  • MorryNYC
    Ah. Okay, I answered my own question, with that modern thing they're calling the intertubes, or inter...something. Turns out, yes, at least according to this website, it does make a difference: "Even if you cannot or do not boot the Mac OS X Snow Leopard kernel into 64-bit mode, you can run your 64-bit apps as 64-bit, and they can take advantage of all the memory in the machine. This was/is possible even with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard." So I guess, panic was not the best response to this issue. Sorry for wasting everybody's time... best, M
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: