macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Feralix
    User Sample Library Location
    This will be my first post here as I just signed up to macProVideo last night so I hope my question is relevant to this forum. I'm still fairly new to using Logic Pro and a Mac in general. I came from using FL Studio on PC and was a very experienced user of the DAW and the operating system. I liked having all my samples in a single location so that the file browser within my DAW was very easy to sort through and find what I needed. I'm trying to figure out how to set up Logic Pro and my Mac in a similar fashion, but I'm having a really hard time finding everything. I guess my question is if there is a central location for samples that I can just drag and drop a custom folder into and have them ready in the browser within Logic Pro? If there isn't a predefined location, does anyone have any suggestions on where to put everything to keep it organized? I have just downloaded all my purchased Image-Line samples I used in FL Studio so I already have a few GB of samples I need to consolidate. I hope this makes sense and is simple enough, I rarely post on forums. I look forward to hearing input, thanks in advance!
  • Christian L
    Re: User Sample Library Location
    Hi Feralix and welcome to our forums! :) There are 3 bookmark buttons in Logic's browser : 1. Computer: Shows all volumes connected to your Mac 2. Home: Shows all folders in your home folder. 3. Project: Shows the contents of your project folder. Unfortunately, there is no way to add a custom folder as a bookmark in Logic's browser. What you could do is create a Samples folder in your Home folder on your Mac. That way you would be able to access all your samples by clicking on the Home bookmark in Logic's browser. I hope it helps! Christian
  • Feralix
    I think I've somewhat figured it out now. I didn't exactly want to create a bookmark in Logic, I wanted to make a central sample library and was looking for suggestions I guess. I've decided to create the folder Sample Libraries inside my Music folder and start storing everything there. Hopefully this will work out for me in the long run. I'm just not used to making everything myself and prefer to have it chosen for me like it was in FL Studio. I'm pretty OCD and the more options and customization, the more I have to mess with everything. Anyways though, thanks a bunch for the quick response! I'm really glad I decided to give macProVideo a shot, I've very satisfied so far!
  • Christian L
    Hi Feralix, Yes, your Music folder is a good place to store your sample library. You can still access it from Logic's browser if you want to. I find that previewing samples directly from Logic is easier and faster than from the Finder. 1. Open Logic's browser (the default key command to toggle the File Browser is "F") 2. Click on the Home button in Logic's browser 3. Double click your Music folder to find your sample library. You can use the search field to find samples... click any filename in the search results list to audition them. Just a little tip! :) Christian
  • Feralix
    Yep I think I've got it all figured out now, cheers! I know it seems pretty basic, but this is my first Mac and my first time using Logic obviously lol. I know this is unrelated, but since I have your attention do you mind if I ask you another question? In FL Studio and a lot of other plugins there was a option to make a "new sound" or to "initialize" the plugin to default, empty values. I can't seem to find a setting like this in the Logic built-in plugins. I just want to load up a synth and start tweaking from scratch. It seems like a pretty common option, I just can't find it for the life of me. Any idea there? Thanks a bunch again for the help so far!
  • Christian L
    Hi Feralix, To init Logic's built-in plugins, open the Settings menu of the plug-in window (where you select the presets) and choose "Reset Setting". For the ES2, I prefer to choose (Settings) > Tutorial Settings > Analog Saw Init because the default setting is a Pad sound with flange... which is not very useful for an init patch. Let us know if you have any more questions! :) Christian
  • Feralix
    Sorry for the late response, but this is exactly what I've been looking for. I don't know how I overlooked it before, it seems so simple now that I know. Still learning the Mac I guess. You've been a huge help so far Christian and I thank you much for that. I'm very pleased with the assistance and find the videos very detailed and educating. I'm so glad I stumbled across this site! :)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: