macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Burafao
    Flex editing and Tempo changes
    Hi, just came up against an interesting problem. I am producing an album where i used beat mapping, so there are many tempo changes. Now i have just added another percussionist and i want to quantize his performance. So i start to edit by creating a region of the first 4 bars with the scissors tool and then ticked the Flex box to work on the 4 bar region. There is a tempo change node within the span of this region and there is BLUE line shown in the region in flex mode to represent this tempo node. Now try to flex edit this region with a flex marker and all hell breaks loose, real crazy stuff. I have become quite used to flex editing and the way it behaves, but this is bizaare. Select a transient with a flex marker, move it and the other transients dance around in a mad way almost random way. Also noticed on a few regions of about 4 to 6 bars long with more than 1 tempo (tempo change) node ( so therefore at least 2 blue lines shown in the region when in flex view ) that when i flick between "normal" view and flex view the wave-form of the music totally changes position even though i HAVENT done any flex editing at all! So its either something i haven't learn't yet. (Been watching all of Steve H's excellent tutorials about flex editing) Or its a limitation of Flex editing.
  • Burafao
    Re: Flex editing and Tempo changes
    The way around this problem is to cut up regions that don't have tempo changes with in them. If there is tempo changes in a region Logic puts Transient markers (in flex mode) all over the place.
  • GaryHiebner
    Hi Tablatom, Gosh, that is strange. What version of Logic 9 are you using, and what OS are you running on your Mac. I wonder if it is a bug with Flex Time?
  • MorryNYC
    I seem to remember flexing beat-mapped regions without incident. I'll go back and check.
  • Burafao
    Logic 9.1.7. Lion 10.7.3 Just opened logic again and edited a 4 bar region of the same percussion part, 5 minutes later in the song, (long song) where there are 2 blue lines representing the tempo changes. Well this is working as it should ( working as i have come to expect Flex editing to work ). The Blue lines act like flex markers. That makes sense i suppose. When i quantized this region , no problems at all. all in sync across the 2 tempo changes. So, i am very sure its not my error. I feel very familiar with flex editing after using it so much in the past 3 months.
  • MorryNYC
    I have a song I'm working on that wasn't recorded to a click, then beat mapped, and I flexed a guitar part to better match the mapped beat, and it worked fine. I'm still back on 10.6.8, on Logic 9.1.7. Maybe this is a Lion thing?
  • emilsoundguy
    I've had this problem since day one with flex! So it's not Lion.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: