macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Beatmapping: Is there a better way?
    I have a client who is a great singer, and creative songwriter, but not a classically trained musician, and has a terrible time playing/singing to a click. We ended up just dispensing with the click all together, and I was going to beat-map to his basic guitar track, then go back and record. And then I thought, well, won't complicate matters too much if we just put the lead vocal down. And then we got real creative and added all these little "spot harmonies" over certain words or short phrases, and we were having so much fun I sort of forgot about the beat mapping all together. And now I'm kind of f**ked, as I just realized that all those little harmonies are going to shift all over the place when I start to add tempo markers through beat mapping. In addition to adding other instruments to the arrangement, I want to use Melodyne to further thicken some of the chords we created, and Melodyne needs to have the tempo information (at least I think it does...am I wrong?) So here's what I think I have to do: 1. change all the anchor points in every region in the arrangement so that they mark exactly the beginnings of the regions. 2. beat map to the original guitar part. 3. go back in and manually shift all the little regions into place on the newly created grid. But...I'm afraid if I do this, I might lose some of the loose easy laid-back character of the song. Is there a better way?
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Beatmapping: Is there a better way?
    Gosh, Morry. I think your suggestions are the best route to go. Does anyone else have any other ideas that may help?
  • MorryNYC
    Yeah, I'm a cautionary tale. "All you kids out in TV land, let this sad story always remind you: beatmap FIRST." I think I'll just copy the entire project, then go through with the beat mapping and see what I get. My first instinct was to record the guitar, give him a half-hour break and beat map it, then go ahead and lay down the vocals. But I veered from that plan, and now I've created about 2x as much work for myself. Maybe 3x. Sigh.
  • GaryHiebner
    Hindsight is always a ..... you know. Enjoy the editing.
  • MorryNYC
    Can I use the "protect track" option to my advantage here? I've never used it before, and I thought it was mainly for midi tracks. But does it have any effect on audio tracks?
  • MorryNYC
    eh. Wasn't so bad. Merged all the little vocal regions into one for each track, then moved anchor points, then beatmapped. As expected, the vocal parts went wandering, but snapped back into place pretty easily and all is good.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: