macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sus4
    External module
    I have a Korg X5DR sound module and can't seem to get Logic to recognize it. I like the sounds in it and would like to use it again. Here's the way I have it connected to Logic: My Kaysound controller is going into the "in" of my Midiman interface. I have the midi cable plugged into the "out" of the Korg going into the "out" of the Midiman. I also have another keyboard which I use as another controller because it has weighted action keys, going into another "in" of the Midiman. The Midiman is going into my computer via USB. It's a very simple set up. Nothing complicated. At one time I had everything working with this set up, but don't know what I changed. I tried different in's and out's and so far I don't have the right combination. Thanks sus4
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Re: External module
    I think the Korg X5R needs to go in the "In" on the MIDIMan. Then plug your Kaysound controller into the "Out", which is also a MIDI Thru. I highly recommend Peter Schwartz's MIDI tutorial if you wish to understand the MIDI signal flow in devices. He really explains quite thorough MIDI. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/midi101[/url]
  • sus4
    Re: Re: Re: External module
    I tried what you suggested and it didn't work. I'm not getting any midi at all in Logic that way when I play my controller. The way it's set up now I'm at least getting the sounds in Logic. When Logic recognizes the Korg, would it show up in the Library first or in the Environment? Thanks sus4
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: External module
    Hi sus4, You will need to setup your Mac to recognize the KorgX5R, Take a look at Richard Lainhart's article on Setting Up External MIDI devices for Logic: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-midi-instruments-in-logic-part-1[/url]
  • sus4
    Gary, I read Richard Lainhart's Setting up External MIDI Instruments in Logic Part 1 as you suggested and I followed it to a "T" and my Logic Express 9 is still not recognizing my Korg X5DR. This is driving me crazy. This is such a simple thing.
  • sus4
    Well maybe when I learn how to read, everything will work correctly. I'm in such a hurry to get going that I misread what Richard wrote many many times. In Step 5 of his Setting up External MIDI article he wrote: Choose one External midi track. I kept choosing Software Instrument. Once I chose External midi track everything was there. My KorgX5DR, my Midiman Interface and other things. Now I have a new problem. I'm getting midi in Logic, but I'm not hearing the KorgX5DR. I connected my headphones to it and then I connected my speaker system and still don't hear anything.
  • GaryHiebner
    How are the audio outputs of your Korg X5DR connected to your setup? You are now getting MIDI into Logic, but you also need to get the audio there. Connect the audio outputs from your Korg X5DR to the audio inputs on your audio interface. Then in Logic create new audio tracks and assign the inputs the these inputs on your audio interface. Record enable the tracks and then you will hear the audio from your Korg X5DR.
  • sus4
    Well, we're getting closer, but it's not 100% yet. The interface that I'm using is midi, it doesn't have any audio imputs. It's a Midiman midisport 2x2. I'm getting sound, but I don't quite understand why. Here's what I mean. When I open Logic and create an external midi track and look at Library, I see: GM Device MidiSport 2x2 Port A Other Ojects Sibelius X5DR When I click on GM Device I hear the X5DR When I click on MidiSport 2x2 Port A I hear the X5DR When I click on the X5DR I get no sound. Now I can live with this set up, but I was curious as to why I don't get any sound when I click on the X5DR. Also, in the X5DR there are 2 banks with different sounds. Why is one band louder than the default bank? Thanks
  • GaryHiebner
    Does the unit X5DR not have audio outputs? How do you get sound out of the module? Very strange about the MIDI. Can you check the following for me: Go into your Audio MIDI Setup (Applications > Utilities) Then choose to chose the MIDI WIndow. What MIDI devices do you see here? Do you see all 3? The GM Device, Midisport and the X5DR?
  • sus4
    Don't know what happened. I just submitted an entire explanation and it's not here. I'll retry.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: