macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Really odd Logic behavior
    Sorry, this is going to be a little complicated, so I'll try to be as specific and clear as possible. Okay, so last night, I had Steve H.'s tutorial on the Ultrabeat machine in my head, and I made this really cool part for a song I'm working on. I bounced one word of the vocal (as a 24-bit stereo WAV file), and then brought that into the sample area of Ultrabeat. I assigned three keys to the same sample (perhaps this is where I went wrong?), and each instance I set to a different pitch using the faceplate, and added a sequence for each. By the time I finished, it was groovin' and cool, and I was sooo very proud of myself. I saved, quit Logic, then repaired permissions and shut the computer down. This AM, I go to start up Logic (9.1.7), and I get a request for me to find the file I created for the Ultrabeat sample, with a navigation dialog box. So I clicked on the drive it was on. So far so good. Then the folder the project was in. Then the project folder itself. So far so good. But then I click on the Bounces folder within the project folder, and I have time to see that the file is there in the bounces folder, but the dialog box skips back out to the drive on which the project is housed, making me go through the process of navigating to the file again, but before I can click on it, it bounces me out to the hard drive again, etc, etc. I finally gave up and cancelled, and then went into Ultrabeat, and sure enough, the sample showed "no sample." So I went to drag the sample back into ultrabeat, but when i tried to do that, Ultrabeat kept disappearing when I clicked on the finder window. So I had to use the "Load Sample" option and was able to get the sample to load that way. But I had different settings, the most dramatic being the pitch, set for each instance (namely, the D, D#, and E keys) and even though those settings are still there in Ultrabeat, they all play back as if none of the other settings on the face plate exist. So I'm kind of at a loss. Do I need to start over from scratch? I'm particularly disturbed about the weird "find this file" message skipping back out and not allowing me to actually find the file it was asking for. Anyone ever hear of or see this happen before? Thanks for any guidance you can provide. best, M
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Really odd Logic behavior
    This is very strange Morry. I'm not too sure what could of happened. A good thing to do is to make sure you have [b]'Copy Ultrabeat samples to folder[/b]' ticked when save your Logic project. This will save a copy of the audio file in the '[b]Ultrabeat Samples[/b]' folder for the project, and retain the audio file settings when you open up the project again.
  • MorryNYC
    I changed the setting to have Ultrabeat samples saved. I never transfer work to another computer, so I never saw the need to include Ultrabeat or exs samples in the project folder. But perhaps, I was wrong... I have everything back and then some, on the project, but now I'm afraid to turn off Logic. Dumb, huh? But this time, I have the sample, and I saved it as a setting within Ultrabeat, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. Thanks for the help. Love this board. best, M
  • GaryHiebner
    Great stuff. When I backup my Logic projects I also choose the save all the samples to the same folder. I've had many occasions in the past where I have pulled out an old Logic project, and the samples cannot be found. So I learnt the hard way.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: