macProVideo.com
Forums
  • yan
    Midi 101 video - Kontakt in multi-timbral
    I'm watching the the Midi 101 video, a video that so far as been amazingly informative for me. On video 34 Multi-Timbral plug-ins, Peter has instantiated Kontakt 3 and had three staves in the score editor. He then used the control of voices to channels, to split the notes on to three separate staves with each stave have a midi channel, I see what he's doing here. I imagine you have to set up the score editor up before hand, to have the notes separated? Though is the same thing possible in the piano roll, even though you can't split the notes like the score editor? I tried this using a basic triad, and each line of notes/interval did have a relative midi channel. Thanks
  • yan
    Re: Midi 101 video - Kontakt in multi-timbral
    Forgot to add this part in, he has the multi-timbral parts all within one track and one region after splitting the notes to midi channels. Is it still the same to then send each instrument/midi channel to its own aux in the mixer? Usually I would have had separate tracks in the arrange page each with there own midi channel. Though is the former example just a different way of doing it? Thanks
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Re: Re: Midi 101 video - Kontakt in multi-timbral
    Hi Juno, To your first post, yes, I had the score editor set up to display notes on channels 1, 2, 3 on staves 1, 2, 3. This is accomplished by programming a "polyphonic staff style", where each staff can be assigned a MIDI channel. This is done right in the Staff Style editor for the style assigned to that track. And for the video I made a custom style specifically for that tutorial. In the attached screenshot you can see all the details. The chord in measure 1 is the same as in measure 2, though for the second chord I applied the voices-->channels function in the score editor. [url=http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/files/mpv_39668_24651_Screen_shot_2012-07-07_at_2.11.41_AM.png] [img]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/upload/upload/server/php/savedfiles/thumbnails/mpv_39668_24651_Screen_shot_2012-07-07_at_2.11.41_AM.png[/img] [/url]
  • Peter Schwartz
    Re: Re: Re: Midi 101 video - Kontakt in multi-timbral
    To your second question... "...he has the multi-timbral parts all within one track and one region after splitting the notes to midi channels. Is it still the same to then send each instrument/midi channel to its own aux in the mixer?" Yes, it's the same. Generally there are two approaches to using plugin instruments when it comes to creating a multi-timbral arrangement. One is to host multiple instruments in one plugin, and the other is to use separate tracks. Let's use the 3-voice sax section as an example for separate tracks (which is what I believe you're doing): Three tracks, each assigned to its own instrument, each hosting a different plugin, where: - track 1 = alto (Kontakt) - track 2 = tenor (EXS-24) - track 3 = bari (WIVI) With this approach you have: - individual control over the volume of each instrument (via the instrument's channel strip faders) - each instrument can have its own unique combination of plugins, sends, panning, etc., all set right on the individual instruments' channel strips - each instrument's region can have its own independent staff style as well as settings for the realtime parameters (transpose, velocity, etc.) This is by far the most straight-forward method of creating an arrangement. Everything is completely independent, and personally I prefer this method. But there are times when the other approach of using multi-timbral plugins (and all of their associated complications, such as creating auxes to handle individual outputs) has its benefits.
  • Peter Schwartz
    Oh, and lest I forget, I'm very pleased that you're finding MIDI 101 informative. Enjoy!
  • yan
    Re: Re: Midi 101 video - Kontakt in multi-timbral
    Hi Peter/Ski pleasure to speak to you and thanks for getting back. Its such a good video haven't seen all of it yet, the part about midi channel messages cleared up a whole for me. Very important video = VIV! [quote=Ski]To your second question... Three tracks, each assigned to its own instrument, each hosting a different plugin, where: - track 1 = alto (Kontakt) - track 2 = tenor (EXS-24) - track 3 = bari (WIVI) With this approach you have: - each instrument's region can have its own independent staff style as well as settings for the realtime parameters (transpose, velocity, etc.) [/quote] In the example above, you have the alto, tenor and bari on three separate tracks. Is it possible to set the score editor up to compose with just the three tracks/staves on one page and not include other tracks? I tried doing this though what happens is that every other track appears in the score editor as well. ----- Your video gave me a couple of ideas, though these are ideas where I don't know the destination, where I was trying things out. I noticed in hyper draw you can select midi channels within a region. Say I play two notes, an A and an E as quarter notes for two bars in one region. In the event list I then select all the Es and put them on midi channel 2 while the As stay on midi channel 1. The track inspector is set to midi channel: all. I select midi channel 2 in hyper draw and draw some region based pan automation. In the event list the pan is midi channel 2 along with the E notes. The pan affects the whole region as is evident from the sound and the pan knob. What I'm not sure about is selecting midi channels with hyperdraw, as whatever happens it affects the whole region. --- Another thing I did was load up a multi-output of Omnisphere on just the one track which was set to all channels. Play in a basic chord sequence, then select individual notes in the event list, change their midi channel which then assigned them to different instruments in Omnisphere's mixer itself. Then create auxes in the mixer and arrange page. Kind of keeping everything within the single region. Normally I use Omnisphere multi-timbrally and arrange everything where an instrument has its own track in the arrange page. Unlike in the above example. Many Thanks again
  • Peter Schwartz
    Hi Juno, Thanks for the "VIV" and I'm glad it's helped clear some things up for you! And sorry to take so long to reply. Hopefully the info I'm about to write isn't too little too late! [quote=Juno]In the example above, you have the alto, tenor and bari on three separate tracks. Is it possible to set the score editor up to compose with just the three tracks/staves on one page and not include other tracks? I tried doing this though what happens is that every other track appears in the score editor as well. [/quote] Indeed it is! The solution is to use a Score Set. Easiest way to create one is this: select the regions on those three tracks and open the score editor window. Logic will automatically create a Score Set for you showing just those three instruments. However, it's only a temporary Score Set. To make it "real", use the score editor's function to "create score set from selected instruments" function (this is also available on a key command). The Score Set will now be listed in the Score Sets menu. In short, think of a Score Set as a kind of visual filter, where all but the selected tracks are prevented from being seen in the score display. Here's a link to an article, the first of three in a series on Score Sets that I wrote for the MPV Hub. http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/logic-pro-tutorial-score-sets-primer If you like that article and want to see the other two, click on my name at the top of the article and go through my list of published articles. You'll find the other two Score Sets articles in the listings. I'll had a closer read of your second question later on and get back to you. Cheers, Peter
  • yan
    Re: Re: Midi 101 video - Kontakt in multi-timbral
    Hi Ski Thanks for the info about the score, would it be cool to get back about the second question. Cheers,
  • Peter Schwartz
    Not sure what you mean, Juno. See above about using score sets.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: