macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rexinator
    Logic's Sample Editor rules!
    My problem today will probably be an obvious fix to you helpful guys, but I'm stumped. I'm working on a project in which I've incorporated some third party loops (.wav files, not Apple Loops). One of these is deployed near the end of the song (with only two active tracks/regions at that point in the song), and I noted that the loop/region had a blip in it. It's a wind sound, so the blip is quite noticeable. I should have left it alone, but thought I'd try to fix the blip. At a high zoom level, I could see the spike in the waveform that was causing the click (not sure how that was introduced, and, quite strangely, [i][/i]it wasn't audible when I soloed the track!). So I made a copy of the region on another track (in the same project) and opened the SE. I've never used the Silencer function before, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. I picked some settings that I thought might work (you have to guess,,because there is no preview on this processing) and then hit Process. Well, it scuzzed up the entire region prety badly (over-processed). So I deleted the copy, thinking that the original on the other track would be intact. Unfortunately not. I had saved this particular loop in a subfolder I created within the main Logic project folder, just in case I needed to access the loops again. So I dragged that into the Arrange Area, and it was also crapped out. So then I searched and found the original loop (within another drive inside my Mac) and dragged that into the same subfolder, thinking I could simply replace that scuzzy loop in that subfolder. But when I dragged that one into the AA, it was again a scuzzy mess. Finally, I dragged the original file from the other drive directy into the track, and it sounds OK (but still has an annoying blip that I can only hear when the track is [b][/b]not soloed). I find it surprising that the Sample Editor can dig into a file that I placed in a subfolder within the project folder and apply the same unwanted processing that it had applied to the file in the Audio FIles folder. It really makes me leary of the Sample Editor. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to deal with that ornery blip? And please feel free to itemize all the false assumptions and bad moves that I made. Thanks!!
  • MorryNYC
    Re: Logic's Sample Editor rules!
    Not sure how the big boys are going to answer this, but I'd say, before using the sample editor for anything, first right click on the region you want to manipulate, and choose "convert to new audio file." You get a dialog box. Make sure you give it a new name, and click okay (there are some restrictions; apple loops can only be converted to aif, not wav, etc.) Then open the file you just created instead of your original. Just copying the region on the track, or even to a new track, doesn't copy the audio file, it just copies the region, which is just a pointer to the audio file. Edits in the sample editor are DESTRUCTIVE edits and change the actual underlying audio file. As far as the "ornery blip" jeez, don't know. Is it just a wind sample, and is it near the beginning or end of the file? Can you trim it off and then time stretch what's left to be the same size as the original? Or if in the middle, can you cut out that section, then crossfade the two regions and (using flex editing) stretch the two regions back out to fit the original timing? Did you try using the pencil tool in the sample editor and manually drawing the blip out? Maybe try finding the frequency and eq-ing it out with a notch filter? Just some thoughts. Hope one of them helps. M
  • Rexinator
    Morry, Thanks for the response. You are right on about coverting the region to a new audio file, and I should have realized that just dragging to make a copy in the Arrange Area doesn't actually create a new audio file (still references the original). What I was most surprised by was that the loop I imported was apparently not copied into the project as a separate audio file, and when I applied destructive editing to the file in the SE, it processed the original loop as well, despite the fact that this was located in a folder outside of the project. The only thing that saved me was that I had that same loop saved in another drive in my computer where I keep all my third party loops. So the learning for me here was: 1) Always make sure you are working with a true copy before applying destructive edits; and 2) WAV files that are imported into Logic projects are not copied into the project, and the region created still references the original file. As for the blip, I solved that little annoyance. Your suggestion about using the Pencil Tool in the SE would probably have been the best method (I'd forgotten about that option as well). It wasn't possible to splice out the blip, as the wind sound was very uneven, and this created a noticeable discontinuity (even with a cross-fade imparted). But I had mentioned that I couildn't hear the blip when I soloed that track. It seems that Logic will ignore (or override) little artifacts of that type when it is processing only one track, but such artifacts are audible when there are ~30 active tracks (in this case), even if only one or two regions are present on those tracks at the particular location in the song. Since this wind sound was at the end of the song and was accompanied only by crickets (on one other track) , I simply automated switching to solo status for those two tracks (in an appropriate sequence so that both could be heard at the right time), and the blip went bye-bye. Thanks again!
  • redlogic
    Re: Re: Logic's Sample Editor rules!
    [quote=Rexinator]1) Always make sure you are working with a true copy before applying destructive edits[/quote] Yes [quote=Rexinator]2) WAV files that are imported into Logic projects are not copied into the project, and the region created still references the original file.[/quote] When you first save a Project, make sure [b]Include Assets[/b] and [b]Copy external audio files to project folder[/b] are checked.
  • Rexinator
    Redlogic, That's probably where I went wrong. I'm certain that I checked the box for Include Assets, but probably not for Copy External Audio Files. I wan't intending to use any external files when I created the project, but later had some ideas for 'special effects'. Thanks a bunch for educating me!
  • GaryHiebner
    Excellent advice Morry. I would definitely always convert the audio file to a new file as you suggested. And as redlogic mentioned always make sure you include the Assets you wish to save with the project or else Logic will only be referencing the audio files not saving it to the [i]Audio Files[/i] location.
  • MorryNYC
    Rexinator, glad it helped. Gary, thanks! Glad I'm giving "excellent advice." Can I put that on my resume?
  • GaryHiebner
    Definitely one to add to the resume.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: