macProVideo.com
Forums
  • realfuture
    Can't record or hear sound with guitar connected
    Hello! I've got a brand new Line 6 UX1 audio card and was trying to play / record my electric guitar with Logic. However I do not get any sound from my Mac's internal speakers and when I try to record I get a flat line. When I play the guitar I can see movement under the 'out 1-2' channel but not under the 'audio 1' channel. In the core audio preferences I only get to set the input device which I set to UX1. Your help would be greatly appreciated! :-)
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Can't record or hear sound with guitar connec...
    If you wish to hear you guitar signal though your Mac's internal speakers you can set this up in Logic. Go to Logic's Audio Preferences and choose the Output Device as your built-in audio device. But make sure that the Input device is set to your UX1 so that it records the guitar signal.
  • realfuture
    Unfortunately in the core audio preferences I can only see the 'input' pull down menu and there is none for 'output'. In addition I can't record!
  • GaryHiebner
    Can you explain your setup to me? What Mac are you using? What OS is running on the Mac? Do you have the latest drivers/ or proper drivers installed for the unit? Go to the Line6 website and make sure you have donwloaded the appropriate driver for the unit and the OS you are running. You say you wish to hear the unit through your Mac's internal speakers. Are you not using the outputs on the UX1, and sending them to external speakers?
  • realfuture
    I am using a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Imac with 3GB memory, OSX is 10.6.8 and my Logic Pro version is 8. My Line 6 UX1 was completely updated two months ago, and connected via a usb cable to the Imac. The only instrument currently connected to the sound card is my electric guitar, via the front jack labeled 'instrument' (bears the image of a guitar). Logic does see my audio card and lists it as input, however for some reason it won't record (I get a flat line). In addition to that I can't get any sound heard while I play. This is the screenshot of my Logic preferences window: http://speedypic.net/di-NRPH.png PS. - I did lend my Mac to a guitarist friend about a month ago, and it may well be that he has tempered with something I am not aware of.
  • GaryHiebner
    Did it used to have an input and output device in your audio preferences before you lent the device to your friend? Most devices show up with an input and output device in Logic. I would say try reinstalling the driver again and see if that helps.
  • realfuture
    I only got the soundcard two months ago, and went on to do a complete update of it online, however as my friend wanted to test it with a guitar and had the computer, I have never used the sound card and so can't tell you if it used to show up in Logic with input and output in the preferences. I will follow your advice and reinstall the line 6 driver from their website and will keep you posted. :-)
  • GaryHiebner
    Can you hear your guitar when you record enable the track? If so, when you play back the recorded track can you hear the guitar? If you hear the guitar but the audio region is flatlined, then do the following: Choose the audio region, go to [b]Options[/b] - [b]Audio[/b] - [b]Refresh Overview(s)[/b]. If this fixes it, then do the following to make sure it doesn't do it again: Go to [b]Logic Pro[/b] menu, then [b]Preferences[/b] followed by [b]Intialize All Except Key Commands[/b].
  • redlogic
    Re: Re: Can't record or hear sound with guitar connec...
    Logic 8 doesn't have separate Input and Output Device fields in Preferences. There is a single Device field that covers both. See the Audio MIDI Setup Help for information on aggregate devices. [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3956[/url]
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: