macProVideo.com
Forums
  • OscBombs
    Best Workflow for Versioning of Song Compositions
    Kind of a general question... I'm just looking for better workflows for versioning a song while working on it. When I work on a song, I usually compose within Logic, meaning that I don't have the song sections built out before I start recording. I like trying out a lot of different ideas before committing them to the actual song composition. Right now, my method for recording these ideas is just [i]awful[/i]: I select and copy tracks upon tracks of regions, and paste them later on in the timeline so I can try out an idea on a song section before I change what I like from what I created. This is bad because it's time-consuming, and introduces a lot of opportunities for errors (like misplaced regions, etc). Are there any good workflows to version out songs that you can recommend? Thanks, Jason
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Best Workflow for Versioning of Song Compositions
    Hi Jason, This is a great question... I personally like using Folders once I want to start experimenting with tjhe arrangement. Would highly recommend checking out David Earl's video course on Folders in Logic here: http://play.macprovideo.com/logic407/intro Another tip is to use "Repeat regions" rather than copy and paste to build extra sections of selected regions... I'd also recommend using some of the quicker ways to set the locators (cycle area) and then explore the Region > Cut/Insert Time sub menu. Lots of handy functions there you can set as key commands. e.g. "Repeat Sections between Locators". Hope this helps Rounik
    Ah, nice! These vids look great. Hadn't thought of using folders aside for mixing purposes. Thanks!
    Ah, nice! These vids look great. Hadn't thought of using folders aside for mixing purposes. Thanks!
  • redlogic
    [quote=OscBombs] Are there any good workflows to version out songs that you can recommend?[/quote] "Save As"?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: