macProVideo.com
Forums
  • logicluvva
    Updating from OSX 10.5.8 to Mountain Lion
    Hullo. Could someone please outline what steps I need to take in order to update from Leopard to Mountain Lion ? I run Logic 9.1.3 with OSX 10.5.8 and am happy with it's stability and workflow. However, my Firefox Browser has notified me that it no longer supports 10.5.8 and that I should update. I have a Mac Pro Quad Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro3,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz Number Of Processors: 2 Total Number Of Cores: 8 Memory: 4 GB I run Time Machine on an external Firewire drive too. I have finished some projects in Logic and think it's time to update.Also .. I can update to latest software of Maschine. Any help is much appreciated.Thanks ( I don't know if it will be ok to run Logic 9.1.3 in Mountain Lion as yet )...or to bring Logic into the current version )
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Updating from OSX 10.5.8 to Mountain Lion
    Hi logicluvva, It should be fine. Your Mac is more than capable to run Mountain Lion. I would recommend first cloning your current system to an external hard drive. Use Carbon Copy Cloner ([url]http://www.bombich.com[/url]) This creates a bootable clone of your system onto an external drive. Then upgrade to Mountain Lion. If you encounter any issues you can easily clone your system back to your working 10.5.8 configuration in a few hours. I find it works a bit better than Time Machine, but thats my opinion.
  • logicluvva
    Thanks Gary. Just for completeness......I was told that Time Machine will be enough to back-up my Mac.By the Apple people.I mentioned the option of cloning but they said I don't need to.But I want to be sure. I have to wait for a delivery of Snow Leopard....install that...and then update to Mountain Lion. I currently have 2 internal drives. And one external for TM. If I do clone...then do I just connect another external when I need it or do I need to keep it running all the time like the Time Machine one ? I'm a bit new to this aspect of backing up the whole caboodle. Cheers for the reply.
  • GaryHiebner
    To have the best of both worlds you could do a Time Machine Backup and a Carbon Copy Clone backup. Both have their advantages. Time Machine backs up incrementally. So if you accidentally delete a file you can go back in the Time Machine and retrieve the file. With Carbon Copy Cloner you only have to have the drive connected when you do the clone. But the advantage of CCC is that if something goes wrong with your system you can connect the CCC clone drive and both up straight into the last working clone backup. And in a scenario like yours where you are upgrading, you can easily clone back to the CCC clone. I know you can reinstall a system from a Time Machine backups. But I have known of scenarios where users come up with problems. I think one of them was related to macs that had a Bootcamp partition. Something about when you tried to recover your system from a Time Machine backups, the Bootcamp partition would come up with errors. You can't go wrong by have both backup types.
  • logicluvva
    Thank you , Gary, for the great advice.I will do as you suggested.I understand now , and will buy another drive plus the CCC.I can't wait now. Cheers for your time and patience.
  • logicluvva
    Just to say that I have been using the Snow Leopard and up to date Logic for a few days now. I cloned everything as you said. It all went great and I will probably stay on Snow Leopard for now.But with the confidence of knowing what to do if I want to upgrade further.Just a simple download from now.Thanks for taking the fear out of the major one.. Cheers
  • GaryHiebner
    Anytime. Glad everything is working.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: