macProVideo.com
Forums
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Ext Drum Machine Sync w/ Logic Pro
    I've got an Alesis SR-18 that I'd like to sync with Logic in order to track the midi notes. I'd like to [i]trigger Logic to record when I press play[/i] on the drum machine. Anyone out there worked through this before? I've gone through a couple of manuals, but I'm not finding much assistance with the books. Thanks, LogicStu-JDC
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Ext Drum Machine Sync w/ Logic Pro
    Hi LogicStu-JDC Have you taken a look at the following articles: The will take you through how to setup your external MIDI devices. [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-midi-instruments-in-logic-part-1[/url] [ulr]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/setting-up-external-instruments-in-logic-part-2[/url] After setting up your device this way, see if the syncing works. You may also need to check your Logic Synchronization settings. (Settings > Synchronization)
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Re: Re: Re: Ext Drum Machine Sync w/ Logic Pro
    Gary, Thanks. Thanks for your input! I did review this section of the tutorial, but the examples didn't reflect the simplicity of my inquiry. However, I found the resolve for the problem. There was a key point within a similar request after researching through the MACOSXAudio website: http://www.macosxaudio.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49188. So in essence, all I needed to do was the following: 1) [i]Go to the preferences icon, select midi and the Midi Sync tab --checkmark the MIDI Clock's "Allow to send Song Position Pointer while playing." [/i] 2) [i]Select the "Midi Sync Project Settings" tab, and checkmark the "Transmit MIDI Clock - Destination 1" tab; then choose my midi interface (in my case it was the AudioBox USB), checkmark the "MIDI Time Code (MTC) "Transmit MTC" box, and checkmark the "Transmit MMC" box under the MIDI Machine Control (MMC).[/i] 3) [i]On my Alesis SR-18, I went to the midi controls under "system setup" and set the "Clock In" feature to "On."[/i] The results were right on point. I proceeded to press the space bar on my computer to engage the logic sequencer, and it triggered my Alesis SR-18 Drum Machine. Super! Sorry I get a little impatient with the lethargic manuals. Logic is such a heavy equipped sequencing tool (too much I think), it just takes so much time to dig through the parameters for simple stuff. Cheers! LogicStu-JDC
  • GaryHiebner
    Ok, great. Glad you sorted it out. So you not recording any audio from your drum machine into Logic? I misread you post a bit, and only see now that you just wanted to track the MIDI notes.
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Yes -I'm tracking the audio now, but it's in wave form instead of midi note form. I only need the track as a leader over the course of the song, but I won't ever use it in the final mix. However I would like to be able to track the midi notes as I'm laying the audio and driving the drum machine, I just don't have the "midi out" connected from the drum machine going back into logic.
  • GaryHiebner
    Great stuff. Are you saying you can or can't record the audio and MIDI together? I would say recording the audio and MIDI together would be ideal. If you don't wish to keep the audio, you can always use the MIDI recorded with another virtual instrument.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: