macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    ES2 distorting while side chaining
    Hope all is well with everyone. I've been going through Steve H's incredibly detailed and informative ES2 tutorial, enjoying it very much. But I'm to the side chaining part, and I'm hearing what's supposed to be happening, but I'm also getting some whacked out distortion that I'm pretty sure is not supposed to be there. I've set up a tumblr page where you can hear what I'm talking about. [url]http://morrynyc.tumblr.com/[/url] I fear it may be that my computer is not fast enough to process the sound. Could that be? I'm on a 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core Intel Xeon, with 15 GB of 667 MHz memory, running Logic in 64-bit mode. Could it be anything else? (btw, buffer is set to 1024). Thanks!
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: ES2 distorting while side chaining
    Hi Morry, Your computer should be more than powerful enough. Can you send a screenshot of your settings on the ES2? How many tacks do you have in the Logic project? Is it quite a big project? Also what are you using as a sidechain input on the ES2?
  • MorryNYC
    Hey Gary, There's a screenshot at my tumblr page, as well as an mp3. That's here: [url]http://morrynyc.tumblr.com/[/url] And no, as you'll see in the screenshot, it's only got the ES2 track and a software instrument drum track. I can't figure it out. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. best, M
  • MorryNYC
    Not quite sure what was going on, but everything on the ES2 started distorting very strangely. So trashed preferences, and now things seem to be working again. Ghosts in the machine, I guess. M
  • MorryNYC
    Re: Re: Re: ES2 distorting while side chaining
    Oops. Spoke too soon. If I use a side chain in the ES2, it works great, but then it seems to corrupt the ES2, and if I want to change it, it only plays one sound. Changing the wave form doesn't change anything, taking out or adding an oscillator doesn't change anything, changing the pitch doesn't change anything. I have to create a new track and instantiate a new instance of the ES2 to get it to work. And now the Vector feature isn't working either. It worked for a while as I was going through the tutorial, but now it's no longer working, and playing the same sound no matter what I do to adjust it. It appears that, I can instantiate a new ES2 and initially make it do what I want, but then if I make any adjustments, it stops working and it plays the same sound. Thanks for any help you have to offer. M
  • Hamish H
    Hi Morry Open the project in 32 bit then open it again in 64. When I updated to 9.1.7 and started working in 64 bit, every instance of a software instrument started making similarly freaky noises as soon as I started to use them. Opening the project in 32 bit then 64 bit worked for me, maybe you are experiencing the same bug. H
  • MorryNYC
    Hamish, Thanks for the suggestion. Opened in 32 bit mode, and experienced some of the same distortion while side chaining. Closed it, quit Logic and went back to 64 bit mode, and I'm sad to report it's still there, though in both 32 bit and now in 64 bit, there's LESS distortion...
  • MorryNYC
    Okay, everything else is now working. So I guess it's just the side chaining that is adding the distortion. But at least everything else seems to be stable now. So 50% success. Well, 65-70% success. Still, not sure why I'm getting that distortion when side chaining...
  • MorryNYC
    ah HA! Just noticed there's an update, 9.1.8, and among the things it fixes: "Fixes an issue with ES2 that could create distortion when a sidechain was used as the modulation source." Just installed it, will check it out tomorrow. Bed-time now. Nighty-night.
  • GaryHiebner
    Ah great stuff, glad you came right. Thanks for letting us know.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: