macProVideo.com
Forums
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Logic: Audio Recording Aliasing
    Guys, I ran into an issue last night in the studio where we were recording audio as we've done before but after tracking, the playback was aliasing. I made sure that the signal going in was clean, cables were up to par and phantom power was engaged w/ the condenser that's the normal staple in the recording gear. I couldn't figure it out. Although I have a suspicion it might be a USB cable that we were using which was extra long. I may change it out before the session tonight. Any thoughts? Are there any special things I shoudl keep in mind? Thanks for any feedback. LogicStu-JDC
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Logic: Audio Recording Aliasing
    Hi LogicStu-JDC, Can you give some more details on your setup? What Mac operating system? What audio interface? And what condenser mic? Also have you updated the driver for your audio interface to the latest drivers? I could of just been a glitch, but I'd try update the drivers just in case.
  • LogicStu-JDC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Logic: Audio Recording Aliasing
    Gary, Thanks for the quick response. Before the session, I kept thinking about the length of the USB cable and then I think I might have gone right to the jugular (so to speak). Theoretically USB is great because it's clean and it handles signal distribution well. The problem however lies in speed, so the longer the cable, the greater the risk of aliasing because the signal begins to decay if it has to travel over a certain distance. [i]So, what I did before the session was simply change out the 10ft USB cable to a 5ft USB cable (basically half the distance) and wa-la! [/i] I tracked a vocal test run and the quality was 1st rate! My apologies for the panic, I should have thought this one through a bit more. I began to remember a few basic principles concerning how signals travel from years ago, studied that stuff in my first years of college :) In response to your questions, I'm running OS 10.8.2 with a Presonus AudioBox, and an Audio Technica AT2035. I made sure that the drivers for the audiobox and patches (v9.1.7 )for logic were up to date.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Logic: Audio Recording Aliasing
    Yeah, I've heard USB cables longer than 5m gives issues. Well done on the troubleshooting!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: