macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jideseo
    Corrupt song file issues
    When I start a new song in Logic 9.1.8 64 bit, all is well, but when I have been working on a song for some time, I get a delay. I believe the input is OK, but ALL of the output (audio and midi) is playing late. This sounds OK on playback (because everything is late) but makes it impossible to add new midi input and difficult to add audio (I get around that by singing/playing with the audio track turned down). So I have two questions: 1) Is there a way of avoiding/fixing this problem right there in the song? 2) I have fixed things before, by laboriously copying all of the midi, the audio and the plugin settings and then putting them piece by piece into a new uncorrupted song, but this is a LOT of hard work. Is there a quick and easy way of doing it? Best regards, Tim
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Corrupt song file issues
    Hi Tim, This is either a latency issue, or an issue with your setup. What buffer size are you using in Logic? And what is your setup? OS? What type of Mac? amount of RAM? Also make sure that your hard drive isn't too full. Make sure you have at least 15-20% free at the bare minimum. The more the better.
  • Jideseo
    Dear Gary, Thank you for your prompt response. To answer your question, the I/O Buffer size is 512. The OS is Mac OSX 10.7.5 on a mac mini 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, and Memory 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3. The songs go on an external G Drive which has 1.91 Terrabytes available. My audio interface is a Focusrite Saffire PRO 24. I've noticed today that audio input appears delayed, but I think that is probably a result of me receiving a delayed output signal and then singing late. If you can fix this one, I'll put in a good word to the Alfred Nobel Foundation ;-) Best regards, Tim
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Re: Corrupt song file issues
    You should have enough ram, and your processor is fast enough. How many tracks are you working with in the projects? And are you having any problems with any other audio applications on your Mac, or is it only with Logic? nIs is happening in more than one Logic project. Sorry about all the questions, just trying to make sense on what the issue may be.
  • Jideseo
    Good questions! Yes, it is a so-and so isn't it? It's happened in many projects. "How many tracks are you working with?" There's a good point. Tell you what, I'll freeze most of the tracks in one of the afflicted projects, see what happens and get back to you. Best regards, Tim
  • Jideseo
    Oh dear! It made no difference at all! Regards, Tim
  • GaryHiebner
    Can you try another thing for me. Can you create another user on your Mac. Boot up into this user. Then open the project again in Logic and see if the same issues occur. If the project resides on your current user directory, move it somewhere else. as when you log out of this user you may not be able to access the directory when you log into the other newly created user. The reason I'd like you to try this is we can then determine if it is a user related issue. If the issue still persists then we'll move onto what else could be causing the problem. We'll get to the bottom of it, just need to cross off what its not. Also another thing to try is a permissions repair form the Disk Utility. Have you tried this yet? maybe your Mac just needs some maintenance. Take a look at these articles on how to run some maintenance tasks: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/9-mac-troubleshooting-tips-call-mac-guy[/url] [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/mac-osx/optimise-your-macs-performance-using-terminal-to-run-os-x-maintenance-scripts[/url]
  • Jideseo
    Dear Gary, I've just opened a new project from a template... same problem. I'll do a disk permissions run and let you know the outcome. If that doesn't work, I'll try the user account thing. Thank you for your support. Best regards, Tim
  • Jideseo
    I did the disk permissions thing and it made no difference. I misled you slightly, having confused myself by opening a new project using a template taken from a corrupted song. So NO it does NOT happen on all Logic projects which tells us it's not a mac issue. So to recap what we've learned so far: It happens on some Logic projects but not all. The delay is on audio and midi so makes recording difficult. On screen, I can see that the sound is happening about a 1/16 note after the curser passes the object. It usually happens when I have worked on a project (and saved) many times over several weeks. If I transfer all the midi, audio and plugin settings into a new song it works again. I believe that somehow, the song file gets corrupted over time and multiple saving. Can you think of a way to minimise this happening or can you think of another cause? Going back to my first post, is there a way to lift all the midi, audio and plugin settings and transfer them into a new song EASILY? I have done this before (the hard way) and it has solved the problem, but what a pain! Best regards, Tim
  • GaryHiebner
    Ok, we getting somewhere. Lets rule out any Mac or User related issues. It has to do solely with Logic. The projects are definitely getting corrupt. It could be anything. So like you mentioned, the best would be to move all the audio and MIDI data to a new project to resolve this. This can be done through Logic's Selective Track Import Feature. Here is an article explaining how its done: [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/logic-pro/project-project-import-features-logic-9[/url] From a new project you can navigate to the corrupt project and choose what you want to import. Hope this helps
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: