macProVideo.com
Forums
  • MorryNYC
    Axiom AIR 61 or Novation SL Mk II
    I'm looking to "up my game" as far as using MIDI controllers in my logic session, and I find myself with a bit of a windfall of a couple extra hundred dollars, and I'm looking to upgrade my midi controller with one of these. The novation looks cool, but I've been reading rather alarming reports of it not working with Logic very well. Are these reports true, or are they posted by people who don't really understand how to use it? Anyone using either of these controllers? Are there others I should be considering? My top spending limit is $600. Thanks!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Axiom AIR 61 or Novation SL Mk II
    Hi Morry, On paper both of these controllers look very capable indeed. I think we're going to get an Axiom Air controller to review - but that review will probably be published within 2 months... so a bit of a wait I'm afraid. Have heard about Novation + Logic issues in the distant past, but thought these were all fixed now... I've tried neither with Logic... and sorry I'm not able to help much here. But what would you ideally like your controller to be able to do? :)
  • MorryNYC
    Hey Rounik, I just want a controller that will mesh well with Logic, and that is easy to program. I'm getting a little more sophisticated in how I use controllers with Logic, getting more comfortable assigning parameters to knobs and sliders, and also like the idea of touch-sensitive faders. I'm encouraged that you heard Novation + Logic issues were all fixed. That's something to go on. Not sure I can wait 2 months for your review of the Axiom Air... I want it NOW! Whaaaaaa! :-) No, I have the money now and in 2 months, perhaps I won't. Thanks for the input! M
  • GaryHiebner
    How about taking a look at the Livid Base Touch sensitive controller [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/audio-hardware/preview-livid-base-touch-sensitive-controller-at-an-attractive-price[/url] It looks like a real nice unit. A bit of a different design. This may lend itself to creative automation in Logic. You never know? Does the controller need to have keys on it as well? Or are you simply looking for a controller with faders and rotary knobs, etc...
  • MorryNYC
    I kind of need the keyboard as well. Though these look cool. How about iPad controllers? I have one, though I find it a little cumbersome to use (IpTouch). Are there any others that I should check out?
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Re: Axiom AIR 61 or Novation SL Mk II
    Some of the iPad controllers work very nicely. It all depends if you want actual faders and knobs to tweak or if you like the feel of touch sensitive screens like the iPad and the iO apps. You got to be very careful which app you choose. Sometimes you can spend more time troubleshooting the app then actually using it. I have actually been trying to get TouchOSC to work today and have had no luck. If you want a great iOS app look at the Lemur app [url]https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/lemur/id481290621?mt=8[/url] Its a bit on the more expensive side for an iOS app, but it has so much customization that you could control anything with it.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Gary.... TouchOSC not working for you in Logic? What's the problem? First and Last time I used it... it was flawless... Morry... your bank manager won't like me for this suggestion... but have you considered the Ableton Push? Or the Livid Alias 8 + a keyboard? I can't remember who told me the Novation + Logic issues were fixed... but it was some time ago, so I'd investigate this some more (i.e. don't take my word for it as I haven't tried it for myself). :)
  • GaryHiebner
    I got TouchOSC to work with Reaper, but whatever I do I cannot get it to work with Ableton or Logic. Its like its only sending the OSC messages one way. If I move a fader in Logic/Ableton it responds on the iPad, but if I move it in TouchOSC Logic/Ableton does not respond. So I'm taking that its down to a network issue somewhere. Does the Push work with other DAWs? I thought it was only an Ableton controller.
  • MorryNYC
    Rounik, Aw, sometimes I have a jumpy trigger finger. I saw your comment that you heard that the issues between Logic and the Novation had been resolved, and I got that sucker. So guess I'll report back and let you know how it goes. I think I have 30 days to return if I'm not satisfied.
  • MorryNYC
    Re: Re: Re: Axiom AIR 61 or Novation SL Mk II
    FOLLOWUP: Well, got the keyboard, and it's, well, kind of kick-ass. It's blowing my mind. It's incredible. One minor issue: there's a box you check that tells the automap software to "Use Logic 9 64-bit friendly AudioUnits." If this box is unchecked, all your plugins have to be validated anew every time you start up Logic. If you check it, you get an error message when you start up, telling you that "Device "Automap Mixer" is assigned to MIDI Port "Automap Logic Mixer" which is not present. Please ensure that all MIDI interfaces are connected and switched on. If this is the case, please check the MIDI port setting of device "Automap Mixer." If this is correct, click "Reset All MIDI Drivers" in Preferences>MIDI>General" This freaked me out the first few times it happened, and following the directions about "resetting all MIDI drivers" did not help, still got the same message back.' But if you just click "Okay" and go into Logic, the keyboard is still finding all the right controls for all the plugins and everything (it's kind of astonishing). So I'm not sure what the point of this message is. All in all, very happy with the keyboard.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: