macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Paul Bissell
    Kontakt
    Just saw the new Kontakt course. Great! My question is: I want to use one of the Kontakt samplers for my drum set in Logic. Great. So, in Logic, I make a software instrument channel, I load the Kontakt plug in, and start sequencing the first line. However, I would like the kick, snare, etc to be on separate arrange channels for editing and other reasons - BUT - I do not want to create additional software instruments (one for the kick, one for the snare etc) each with a new instanciation of Kontakt. And in addition, I am not wanting Kontakt to output on separate audio channels, etc. Having the drumset instrument output in stereo is just fine. I want multiple arrange window software instruments to be able to send their midi data (specifically note on/off) to a single instance of Kontakt. All the information I have found is regarding using a Logic Multi-Instrument, with each sending to a different MIDI channel in Kontakt and having each channel realized by a different sampler instrument, which outputs audio back to Logic via aux channels. My request is much more simple; multiple Logic instruments in communication with a single instance of Kontakt. Matt?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Kontakt
    Hey Paul, Good question. And not only for Kontakt users... very useful if you're sequencing in Ultrabeat of EXS24 too :) Select the MIDI region in from the Arrange area's local menu choose: MIDI > Separate MIDI Events > By Note Pitch Logic will create a new track for each used MIDI Pitch... and all pointing to the same channel strip (the Kontakt Software Instruments track in this case). Hope that helps! R
  • Paul Bissell
    Ohhhhhhh. Nice Rounik! So there MUST be a way to create these faux tracks before a recording, right? But how? I'm looking at the arrange window with my now "split out" by note tracks, and even when I poke into the environment, I can't see what is going on under the hood to make this happen. Each track appears to have a Kontakt instanciation, but it doesn't, so that is good, but how is this working? Why can't this be done without the merging of the initial recordings and then splitting them? The reason the solution you gave is not 100% perfect is: 1) The hi hat open and closed notes are split onto separate tracks - the same would happen for toms, etc. I will often use a collection of related sounds as a group (like toms, shakers, metal thwacks, etc) and I want them all to stay together. 2) When I add a new sound - or collection of sounds - I have to go to the original track, record, and then split it out. Again, unless I'm only recording one note, I have the problem specified in #1. Thinking I had the solution, I selected one of the faux tracks and did a "Duplicate Track with Similar Settings". But, to my chagrin, this action made a new Kontakt instrument. Grrrrrrr Sigh..... The scary thing is that I don't even know what these faux tracks are! They don't show up in the mixer window (which kind of makes sense as they are MIDI "senders" only) but they also don't show up in the environment. Ninja tracks? Stealth tracks? Thoughts on how to make these tracks WITHOUT doing a recording, merging, then splitting?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Paul, Ahhh. Sorry I should've explained: In Logic, you can create multiple tracks per channel strip. This isn't so useful for audio channel strips, but for Software Instrument channels strips it makes it easy to double up or play about with arrangement ideas or apply different setting to particular MIDI events, etc. So, to create an additional track for the same channel strip simply select the track header in the Arrange area and from the local menu choose [b]Track > New with Same Channel Strip/Instrument[/b] There is a keyboard shortcut you can use too (listed next to the command in the menu) :-)
  • Paul Bissell
    Yes yes yes! :) 100% I remember back when everything was outboard (MIDI) that I would do this all the time ( I started on "Notator" on the Atari) I could only hope that this functionality remained even though the source was now an internal instrument. You know, Logic is one of those programs that keeps on giving. Thank you so much. You are a king among kings. Paul
  • Rounik Admin
    No problem Paul!! I definitely agree: "Logic is one of those programs that keeps on giving." :-)
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: