macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hasdrubal
    Re: request mixing advice for my song
    **Moan alert** I've sung this song about 50 times. Played the acoustic guitars parts about the same. Listened to it hundreds of times as I try to mix. I'm starting to resemble Eric Cartman playing World of Warcraft. Every take I sing sucks. Talk about uncomfortable singing, and being angry with your music! I'm leaving it alone for one month and decompress. Work on other songs. The song file as it is (DOMMJun213.mp3) is in my DOMM2Files directory on Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-gX_y1MR54ud3E5VlNuRThYQWs&usp=sharing cc
  • jeff
    Re: Re: request mixing advice for my song
    Thanks for sharing!! I like the song, and i appreciate the open discussion. would love to see more of this on mpv forums
  • Paul Bissell
    Recording a song and making it "right" (whatever that means) is hard - even if you are the only factor involved. If you want to experience a crazy combination of factors in a recording session gone wrong, I cannot help but to suggest "The Daily Adventures of Mixerman". It isn't the best written book, but it has a lot of truth. I read the book and then got the books on tape version (which is is pretty good). Regarding the whole "recording to make it right" personal motto: Hard Things Are Hard Take a break. Record a few other songs totally unlike that of DOMM. When you come back, it will revel itself to you in different ways. Paul
  • GaryHiebner
    Hey Paul, I know what you mean about making sure mixes translate in Mono. I was pitching for a sound design job a few years back, and had my showreel with a bunch of music productions I worked on. I went to the agency's media room and they stuck my showreel on. They must of had their cabling in mono, as my tracks played back so many elements were missing sonically from them. The one track just sounded like kick and snare on their system. I went back and checked the disc and came to the realisation that my mixes didnt translate over to mono. I also only recently heard about the Beatles albums that were re-released in mono. So the idea is now all fresh in my head. I'm keen just as an experiment to write and mix a track in mono. But I have a feeling I'm going to be missing the possibilities of stereo. It has been really interesting reading all the comments on the post. It would definitely be great to see more of this type of stuff on the forums!
  • Hasdrubal
    Hi Jeff, I'm very glad you liked the song, and this thread! Have you considered sharing some of your music here for the same purpose? Paul, I looked at the Mixerman's blog and will read more of it. It seems quite funny. "Hard things are hard" is a good motto. I will take a break from DOMM. cc
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: