macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hasdrubal
    Using "Channel EQ" tool on vocals Pops
    In another thread, Paul Bissel was talking about Pops in my vocals track, and said that he could use the EQ tool to attenuate them. I wasn't sure how this was done, but last night I recorded a vocal take which had some very audible pops on the words 'complain' and 'pills'. I thought I would try the EQ tool and see if I could find out what was done. I did end up recording another take but first... I select my vocals track and make a timeline selection around one of the problem Pops. Go to the Channel Strip Inserts on the left side of the screen and start the âChannel EQâ tool. Hit spacebar to play the timeline selection. Listen to the Pops. On the left side of the Channel EQ tool is a greyed out button called âAnalyserâ. Click it on. Look at the jagged line reading at your vocal Pops. If your Pops are anything like mine, the jagged line jumps up from about 20Hz to about 200Hz. You can turn on the band control at the left of the line of eight controls (high pass/ low cut?) and use your mouse to bring the 20-200Hz range down. Now you may notice a good reduction in the Pops power. And now look at the swathe of frequencies you've eradicated from your track and wonder how much of that is your natural voice, and go and do another take anyway :)
  • Paul Bissell
    Re: Using "Channel EQ" tool on vocals Pops
    And when you record the next take, you will put the pop-filter between your mouth and the microphone and the vast majority of issues will go away. Lesson learned, another arrow in the quiver... Not quite sure about your last sentence, but unless your track is sparse enough, and you have a low-end male voice that"needs" the very low end of the voice, you are probably going to rolloff the low end of it anyway. There is nothing worth keeping below 100Hz unless you are going to sacrifice other elements to make space. I used to use the standard 18 or 24 dB hi pass, but recently I have been using just a 6dB (single pole) curve and setting the cutoff much higher. If the pop is really bad, it will extend all the up into the lower midrange (400Hz or above). In this case, using a static filter would seriously jeopardize the sound of the voice, so I would automate a 2nd EQ to handle just that (or those if plural) issue(s). Ridding pops on a vocal should be like having to add gas to your tank on the side of the road; you can do it, but a little preparation will keep you from getting into that position every time you drive.
  • Hasdrubal
    Re: Using "Channel EQ" tool on vocals Pops
    Absolutely. It took this thread to convince me to finally make a pop filter (coat hanger/ dress sock) until I can buy one. Singing the track was much easier without worrying about that stuff. Using a Pop Filter is better. Another arrow!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: