macProVideo.com
Forums
  • msandm
    Logic Core Distribution
    Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can explain how to distribute audio over cores evenly. I constantly get the disk error message relating to performance and in the performance meter on logic it is only across 2 cores and the first one will spike and then the error message comes up. Maybe I just don't understand the whole core thing properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Damian
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: Logic Core Distribution
    Are you running Logic in 32-bit or 64-bit mode? And how much RAM do you have on your machine? What Mac are you running? What is the processor speed and how many cores does it have? With your Logic projects, how many tracks are in the project and how many plugins do you have roughly on each channel?
  • msandm
    Re: Re: Logic Core Distribution
    Hi, I've run it in both 32 and 64 bit modes and they both seem to have the error. I have 4 GB Ram, 2 hard drives, one dedicated audio drive both with about 1.4 terra bytes free on them It is a Mac Pro OSX 10.6.8, 2.8GHZ Quad Core Intel Xeon the particular project I had running had about 12 tracks, only 6 of which had plug ins and were all logic standard plug ins, compressor on 4 tracks, gate on 2, simple EQ on 1. I have had the same issue in a session with literally no plug ins at all as well. Then won't have the issue on session which have lots of stuff going on. There is no consistency as to when the error message occurs. I have frozen all the tracks. I have exported all audio files as new files and placed them in a brand new session with literally no processing done to it, just as a test, and the error still occurs. I'm stumped at this stage.
  • GaryHiebner
    Try running a disk repair and see if this helps. Go to Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility. Select your system drive on the left and then click Repair Permissions. See if the performance in Logic is better after this.
  • msandm
    I just tried that. Said all was good. Then reopened Logic and instantly it gave me the error message.
  • GaryHiebner
    Ok, so it must be something else. Try this. Create a new user account. Log into this user, and then launch Logic. See if it still happens then. This will determine if it's a user error, such as maybe the Logic user preference files which may be corrupt. Let me know what happens.
  • msandm
    Hi. I tried that and the same issue occurred instantly.
  • BenB
    The OS and 64-bit app determine what cores get used and how much, there is no setting for the user to change that. Exactly what error message do you get? That is vital troubleshooting information. I'd recommend upgrading to at least 8GB RAM, and run Disk Warrior to repair all drives.
  • msandm
    Hi, I receive this error message. Disk is too slow or System Overload. (-10010) I have considered upgrading RAM but the issue occurs when just playing back audio without a single plug in or any processing in the session as well, which makes me think it's not necessarily a performance issue.
  • GaryHiebner
    The 'Disk is too slow or System Overload' is a common bug that comes up with Logic 9 and lower. There is an Apple page that gives some recommendations on how to resolve this: [url]http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3834?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US[/url] But these don't always solve the error. I'm not too sure if this is still an issue with Logic X. I haven't seen the error message come up yet, but I haven't spent huge amounts of time with it yet. But so far, so good. So maybe upgrading to Logic X will be worth it for you. Has anyone one else seen the 'disk to slow' error on Logic X?
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: