macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Geeztown
    Logic X smart controls, track stacks, midi fx, and routing
    So far Logic X is AMAZING! :-) Before X came out, I was trying to make a talking bass in logic 9 using automation and the channel eq. Now, using smart controls I'm able to set one knob to control 3 bands of the channel eq and have each one start at the formant frequency of one vowel sound and end at the formant frequency of another. I can then assign that to the mod wheel on my keyboard for a really awesome talking effect. What I'm wondering is how the midi routing works with smart controls and track stacks. What I'd like to do is set up a midi modulator plugin to either use the LFO or the envelope filter to control my newly created talking bass smart control knob. So far, I'm not able to set up midi fx on the main track of my track stack, I have to do it on one of the synths. I tried using "learn" to assign a knob on my keyboard, then finding that midi control number and channel and setting the output of the modulator plugin to that. Unfortunately I haven't had success so far. Any help would be much appreciated!
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Logic X smart controls, track stacks, midi fx, and...
    Hey Geeztown, Sounds like an excellent and creative use of Smart Controls there :) Unfortunately, MIDI FX are placed firmly between physical input (triggering notes) and the Instrument... so MIDI FX can only be used to manipulate the MIDI performance on a software instrument channel strip... looks like it doesn't work the way we'd like yet with track stacks :)
  • Geeztown
    Ah, I see. Thanks for the reply. Here's another question. Would midi fx work with an external midi device? And would it be possible to re route the midi output back to the input of another channel with a physical cable so that Logic thinks you are turning a knob on an external controller but in fact it's the midi modulator? It sounds like it might get a little complex, but the sound design possibilities would be endless if you could use the LFO or envelope filter to control any parameter of any plugin like you would with an external midi controller.
  • Darren Burgos
    Hi Geeztown. If you use the "External Instrument" Software Instrument, you can definitely use all the MIDI FX to trigger your physical hardware. I wrote a full article on using this instrument with MIDI gear for the latest macProVideo/Ask Audio magazine. I'm guessing (haven't tried it), that since MIDI is being sent to the outside world this way, and if the receiving device can be set to send what it receives back out through it's MIDI Out/Through, MIDI could theoretically come back into Logic! :). I'll experiment with this and see if it's possible, but yes, you can definitely use MIDI FX with external hardware.
  • Rounik Admin
    Great point Darren!! Your excellent article on using MIDI gear with Logic can be found in the July 2013 issue of AskAudio Magazine (available for iPad/iPhone) here: [url]https://itunes.apple.com/app/askaudio-magazine/id489221781?mt=8[/url] :)
  • Darren Burgos
    Thank-you Rounik! :) One more though Geeztown ...many virtual instrument have the ability to assign standard MIDI continuous controllers to take control over various parameters. ES2 for example allows you to do this in it's router. The MIDI FX Modulator can definitely be used for this by setting it's "To" parameter to the same CC# you assigned to the parameter in the synth.
  • Geeztown
    Awesome! Thanks for all the great info! I've been busy building some diffusers for a new room I'm setting up, but I'm definitely going to have to spend some time getting creative with external instruments and midi routing. I'm really loving the new features in Logic. I'm glad they decided to come out with some unique innovative new features instead of just catching up on things they have been missing like some DAWs that won't be named...
  • Dasejii
    Hi! Related to this I wonder if anyone knows how to setup EZplayer in Logic Pro X. I have tons of midi clips I would like to auditon using EZplayer to trigger Logic's new excellent drum kits. Best, Hans
  • Dasejii
    ...or put it another way. How do I route midi from one track to another?
  • Vasupue
    you can't ezp does not work with logic X... you have to copy the file to the track
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: