macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Darren
    A Quick Question on Swing
    Hi everyone. Im after peoples opinion on how to best use swing in a track. Should I: A. just swing the hi hats, B. Swing all the drum elements so they work together, or C. Swing every track so the swing is constant throughout? Also which Logic swing pattern feels the funkiest or grooviest. I seem drawn to 1/16 Swing C, I guess because its subtle.
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: A Quick Question on Swing
    Hi Darren, This is gonna be determined by your track, the different instruments and the way they are played. With the drums you could swing specific elements such as the hats to create subtle swing feel or you could swing the whole drum kit if you wanted quite a drastic swing element to your track. It also depends how you group certain elements together. Such as the Kick and Bass. If you swing the Kick and not the bass which is locking in with it, it may sound very messy. So think of your arrangement, the elements in it, and what instruments you want to work together. I know this may not be the answer you were wanting. The key thing here is experimentation. Experiment with different swing settings, and hear what they sound like. Either they create some movement to a static part or they might make the part sound messy if pushed too far. And sometimes a little goes a long way. Try adding subtle swing amounts such as the 1/16 Swing B or C, which works very well to give the song a bit of a lift.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: