macProVideo.com
Forums
  • sus4
    No Sound
    I recently recorded some midi tracks in Logic Express and it was playing back fine. I was using Midiman Midisport 2x2 as my interface. I decided to add some vocals and hooked up my Tascam US-144 audio/midi interface. I called Tascam and they told me everything is working fine, I see the meters on the tracks moving, but now I'm not getting any sound. I went to iTunes and songs are playing back fine there. So, my question is, if you haven't figured it out all ready, why am I not getting any sound in Logic Express? Thanks for your help
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: No Sound
    Does this happen in every Logic project or only this one? Try create a new Logic project and see if there's no sound. Is the Tascam chosen as your Input and Output device in the Audio Preferences?
  • sus4
    Re: Re: No Sound
    I just opened a few Logic projects and still no sound. I created a new project, same thing. In Audio Preferences, the Output and Input both say US-144. When I first started I was using the Midisport 2x2 and just recorded midi. I decided I wanted to put in some vocals so I disconnected the 2x2 and connected the US-144 and that's when the "no sound" started. In the Project Setting window where it says "Instrument without MIDI through function" it says NO OUTPUT. Now I'm not getting no midi signal at all in the transport window when I play my midi controller. This just started. I just unplugged and re-plugged the USB cable in the back of my Mac and now I'm getting all the input signals again. When I tap the mike and keyboard the meters are moving. Hope this helps.
  • GaryHiebner
    Has the Tascam interface worked before? And have you made any changes? Such as system updates, Logic updates? Also try elect the built-in audio device as your audio device and see if logic plays back the audio. That way will be able to tell if its a Logic issue or audio device issue.
  • sus4
    Re: Re: Re: No Sound
    It's been quite a while since I did any recording, but I do believe the Tascam did work before. The one major change I did recently is buy a Mac Mini with 10.8.4 OS which I'm using now instead of my Imac which I sold. No new updates. I just tried a couple of things. First I again unplugged and replugged the USB for the US-144 and all the signals and meters are back. Then I selected "built-in audio device and now everything is working. I got sound coming out of my headphones. I just recorded a short vocal track. Great. Then I went back and changed from built-in audio device to US-144 and it's "still working fine". It's working great now as it should be and I'm not sure why. If you can explain it great. If not, that's still great and thanks for your help. Well, hear we go again. I just tried to record second vocal harmony vocal track and the audio track is not working. I'm not getting any thing when I talk into the mike?????????
  • GaryHiebner
    It sounds like your Tascam audio interface could be faulty. Can you take it back to where you purchased it and get them to test it out on another machine? Sometimes I get no sound from my audio interface but all I have to do is shutdown my Mac, unplug and replug the device, then restart the Mac. Never unplug and replug your audio interface while your machine is on as this can sometimes spike the audio interface.
  • sus4
    Re: Re: No Sound
    Gary, thanks for your help. I bought the Tascam a few years ago, don't remember where. Maybe I can get my son the test it on his computer. He has a Mac Mini too. Since I have the Midiman Midisport 2x2, do you think it would make sense to buy just a dedicated audio interface and use those two instead of the Tascam? Also, are most people just recording with audio instead of midi? Buy the way, how do I go back to listening to my desk top speakers instead of my headphones which I plug into the Tascam. Thanks again.
  • GaryHiebner
    What external MIDI instruments are you using to record MIDI in? Everyone has has different setups, but I mostly use the software instruments and don't use external MDII devices anymore, but as I said it depends on your preference and your setup. I would say you only need a dedicated audio device seeing that you already have a MIDI interface. Think about how many audio inputs you will need to record simultaneously and this will guide you on what interface you need. If you only need 1-2 audio inputs at a time, then look at a good audio interface with good preamps and AD/DA converters. I'd recommend the Focusrite audio interfaces as they have great Mic preamps and very good AD/DA converters. But it all depends on your budget. For your desktop speakers, make sure they're plugged into the output on your Mac, then select the Built-in audio device as your interface in Logic.
  • sus4
    Well, you nailed it Gary. Right now everything is working the way I want it. I went into Preferences>Audio and changed the Output Device from US-144 to Built in Output and now I'm hearing sound out of my desktop speakers. When I want to go back into recording vocals I'll go back in and change the Output Device to US-144 and record with my headphones. For now I'll keep everything the way it is until the next "question" comes up and I'm sure there will be more. Thanks again.
  • GaryHiebner
    Great stuff, glad its working.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: