macProVideo.com
Forums
  • 88keez
    missing EXS 24 sounds
    Hi, I recently had my hard drive replaced on my iMac 7 (running OSX 10.8.4) from Apple under warranty. Before doing that I backed up everything using Time Machine on an external hard drive, then restored everything again once the hard drive was replaced. Everything seems to be loaded back in properly except in Logic, some of my EXS 24 sounds can't be found. The message on the computer reads {EXS 24 intrument "whatever sound.exs" audio file "----" not found}. Some sounds are there, others are missing. I can't seem to find these sounds on the computer. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you, 88keez
  • GaryHiebner
    Re: missing EXS 24 sounds
    What version of Logic? You could try download the content again via the software update. What exs instrument names come up when the error message pops up. Least this way we can try narrow down which content you can re-install instead of trying to download and re-install all the content again.
  • 88keez
    Re: Re: Re: missing EXS 24 sounds
    I'm using Logic 9 (version 9.1.8) I hadn't thought of the software update. But I just now updated with your suggestion and it didn't seem to work. The instrument names vary from bass sounds (but not all), to world sounds (but not all) and various others. I don't think there is any pattern to which sounds are missing. I know I could probably just load all the Logic 9 discs in again, but I was trying to avoid all that time and effort if it was something simple. But if I have to, I guess that 's what I will have to do. Any other suggestions? Thank you.
  • GaryHiebner
    If you have the discs then yes try re-install the audio content again. I'm not too sure why the sounds went missing, but re-installing them should help.
  • 88keez
    Okay, I'll give that a go. Do I need to uninstall anything first or just install? Thank you.
  • GaryHiebner
    No you don't need to uninstall anything. Just run through the installation process and it will reinstall the missing components.
  • 88keez
    Hi, I've installed the audio portion of Logic (3 discs), but the sounds are still missing or I can't find them. Any other suggestions? Not sure what I can do or if I'm looking in the wrong spots for theses sounds. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Christian L
    Re: Re: Re: missing EXS 24 sounds
    Ah that annoying missing EXS24 sound problem! It often happens when restoring from a Time Machine backup. The EXS24 is actually using Spotlight to find the samples. If it's missing some sounds, you will need to rebuild your Spotlight Index. Try this: 1. Quit Logic and restart your computer... just to be safe! 2. Launch the Terminal (Under Applications > Utilities) 3. Type the following command (exactly) : sudo mdutil -E / 4. Enter your password... and the rebuild process will begin 5. Go take a (long) walk 6. Come back home 7. Click on Spotlight in the menu bar - Still indexing? Go back to step 5. Done? Go to step 8. 8. Follow this link : [url]http://make-everything-ok.com[/url] and press the button (optional, but fun) 9. Launch Logic 10. Keep fingers crossed 11. Try to load an EXS24 instruments Hope it helps!!!! Christian
  • 88keez
    Hi, Thank you for responding. I've tried to get the terminal started, but when it asks for my password, it won't let me type anything in on the keyboard. Any suggestions?
  • Christian L
    Oh you can type your password, but the cursor won't move. It's just a security measure so people can't guess the number of characters in your password. Type your password and press Return and it will work...
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: