macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Lord Scrotum
    finding the tempo
    Hello, I've recently subscribed to Tips n Tricks and tried to find the tempo of a song I'd recorded following Martin's advice in the "finding the tempo" tutorial. It all works perfectly well (my song is 180bpm - which is more or less what I'd anticipated) until I click "change globally". After I've done this, the tracks go out of sync with each other (sometimes multiple tracks are all over the place). Any idea why - I'd just presumed that the grid would shift to 180 and that the regions would remain in the same relationship to each other. I've watched the tutorial 4 times and followed the instructions to the letter, so I don't think I'm doing anything stupid. If it makes any difference, the song is a 20 track piece with a range of guitars, a drum kit and a range of vocals (all "real" instruments). Thanks in advance for any help. Lord Scrotum
  • Christian L
    Re: finding the tempo
    Hi, Make sure that "Follow Tempo" is [b]not[/b] selected in the inspector. If it is, all tracks will be time shifted.
  • Lord Scrotum
    Thanks for the quick answer Christian. The problem is I can't find any "Follow Tempo" option in the inspector (I'm right in thinking the Inspector is the thing on the left of the screen with the individual channel strip underneath, aren't I?) Of course the inpenetrable Logic Manual offers up nothing when I type in "follow tempo" or "inspector", so I'm still stuck. I should mention, I'm still using Logic 7.2.3 and that all tracks are real-time recorded audio tracks. Thanks again and sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I've been searching around for 30 minutes or so and need to get on with some editing. All the best Lord Scrotum Ahhhhhh .... I've just found what you mean in "What's New in Logic 7". Shouldn't really apply to me, cos I've exported all the original audio files and reimported them into a new project, so the "follow tempo" option doesn't appear. Back to the drawing board.
  • Christian L
    Ok... Does the tracks sounds good (pitch and tempo) when you listen to them in solo ? Also, if you did some edits in the arrange before changing the tempo globally, the regions won't be synced. When you return the tempo to the original setting, does your song plays correctly ?
  • Lord Scrotum
    Hi Christian, yeah the tracks are ok when I undo everything (apple Z). I haven't tried just resetting the tempo in the transport. After doing the "find tempo" thing, the tracks are ok in solo apart from the one I use to find the tempo. This track plays kinda doubled - it starts earlier and then starts at the correct point. Strange. I'd heavily edited the tracks before trying the tempo thing and thought that this was maybe the problem. That's why I exported everything and started a new project with the bounced tracks. Thanks massively for your help. Lord Scrotum
  • Christian L
    Are your anchor points of all audio regions located at the 1st beat ? Also, make sure you have only one region / track.
  • Lord Scrotum
    ah! good point! no the anchor points were all over the place. Thanks for the tip. When you say "make sure you have only one region/track", I guess you mean only one region selected, don't you? Thanks again massively for your help. I'll probably have to wait till the weekend to experiment 'cos work's distracting me from doing important things. Cheers Scrotum
  • Lord Scrotum
    Hello everybody, It's been a long time but I thought I'd just update this thread with the solution I found for my tempo problem. It really was (in retrospect!) quite easy. What I should have done is: 1. Before changing the tempo select all (Apple A) 2. Lock SMPTE (not in front of my computer at the moment and can't remember which menu - I think the sub-menu "Audio") 3. Re-select the region which has been cut ( I also found it better to put this on it's own track to avoid confusion and then glue the track I'd cut up back together). 4. Make sure the cycle range has been set up. 5. Re-set Tempo! Bingo all the regions stay in the correct relationship to each other. 6. Don't forget to select all again and "UNLOCK SMPTE" or you'll have problems editing. Hope this helps anybody else who's been having problems. Cheers and have a great weekend! Lord Scrotum
  • Christian L
    Thanks for posting your solution. Update like this are always appreciated.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: