macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jafu
    Master channel?
    The tutorial about Logic 8 is really great! However, there is something that isn't discussed in detail in the training that I (as a relative newbie) have a question about: What exactly is the Master Channel used for? I.e. what is the difference between this strip and the Output strip? I hope this question is not too stupid...
  • steveH
    Re: Master channel?
    The master channel serves as a global level control for all output channels. This is especially convienient for surround mixing, or any multi-output mixing. It must be noted that the level control to the right of the transport is the master channel control, not a monitor level control ... it will change the output levels of your mix. If you accidentally move it, you cam control click on the right speaker icon to normalize it. Clicking on the left (soft) speaker icon dims the outputs.
  • Jafu
    Thanks Steve for your quick reply. Highly appreciated!
  • Popykua
    I may be a bit late on this one, but how is a master channel strip different from the output 1-2 channel strip. Lets say Logic didn't have that master fader how would it affect the setup? can't we control a final mix by just controlling the output 1-2? Doesn't the output 1-2 do everything the master output can do in a surround setup too? Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Rishabh, Welcome to the forums :) In Logic, it's possible to use more than 2 outputs, depending on your audio interface. For example, you might send two mixes, one to Output 1-2 for normal monitors, another to Output 3-4 perhaps for a different mix, perhaps to different pair of monitors or even a headphone mix or for vocalists to listen to when recording... there are many possible uses. The Master Channel strip then controls the "global" volume level across all outputs. You'll also notice that the Output channel strips have insert slots so you can place effects on them, the Master Channel strip only has a volume fader. Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: