macProVideo.com
Forums
  • [R]evoution
    Irrational Meters
    How the heck do I make a 3/3 or 3/6 time signature, or any other irrational meter? I wrote a song in Cubase using an irrational meter a long time ago, but now that I have transferred the midi files to Logic 8 pro I can't figure out how to work on it any more. This makes me a bit frustrated.
  • Christian L
    Re: Irrational Meters
    You can't. I'm surprised you could do this in Cubase... I remember you could'nt in the last version of Cubase I used. I don't know of any music software that can do "irrational meters". Maybe in Finale... Irrational Meters are extremely rare. In fact, they are almost non-existent. The reason is that you can normally use a "traditional" time signature instead. For example : You can use a measure of 4/4 instead of a measure of 3/3. You can use a measure of 2/4 instead of measure of 3/6.
  • [R]evoution
    And Happy Holidays to all of you :) !! The last version of Cubase that I used was SX 2. This being one of the main reasons that I switched to Mac and Logic (and we here at red dwarf studio have not been happier). I wrote the song in one of the last two versions of cubase vst, and then we never finished it, and then i found it, thought it sounded really cool and wanted to do a new version of the song in Logic. This is when I realized I had written it in a really really weird time signature with really off the wall quantization. Now re-writing it is going to be a chore. I was able to get it somewhat in line with 3/1 24th notes. but even then, some things do not line up correctly. I guess that all I can do is try some different time signatures with different note lengths and play around until I find the closest thing to what i used back when I wrote it. Thanks for the replies! -ben
  • Nudoguy
    In common usage, denominator values are 2, 4, 8, 16 etc. If you want multiples of 3, you could choose a 4/4 metre and simply use tuplets, ie groups of 3 or 6. You could also try a compound time like 6/8 or 9/8. This is pretty easy to do in Logic. Regards - Colin
  • Futywey
    The effect of an irrational meter is, in effect, more or less the same as a tempo change, albeit a precise/rhythmically relative one. Thus you could, in order to get 4/3, I THINK you would need to divide your primary tempo by 3.33333... and subtract the result-- IE 150-45=105=a movement from 4/4 to 4/3. (turning your quarter note into the relative 1/2note triplet of the master tempo).
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: