macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Hesydoo
    grouping
    I am a long time professional protools user and I am getting in to Logic... I know how to do most everything in protools so I would like to know if Logic can do sub groups like protools. In Logic It seems that each track can only be in one group at a time???? I would like a group for drums and another group for drums bass and guitar at the same time??? thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: grouping
    Hi Logic can do this too. In the Mixer window shift click on the track's you want to be in a group. Above the level meters there are two boxes 'Off' is the automation box and the one above that is the 'group' box. Click on that box and select 'Group 1' A pop up window appears that enables you to specify the group settings and group name for these selected channel strips.
  • Rounik Admin
    Oops, just read your post again... I think I see what you're asking now. I believe a channel can belong to multiple groups (up to 32) To add a channel to an existing group hold down shift and then select the desired group name/number. The group box will then display 1+2+3 etc. You can find more info on page 563 of the manual. You can also use the sends to create sub-groups. e.g. BUS 1 = drums only BUS 2 = drums, bass and guitar Rounik
  • amerikiwi
    ok I got my tracks to group, but now i can't get them to UNgroup. I see a 'group clutch' which i take is to be a toggel on off for the groups but i't dosn't seem to work. I see the 'enable' button for each group, wouldn't removing the check from this DIS abel the grouped tracks like in Good old Pro tools (hate to say that but it's what I thought) Amerikiwis
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi To ungroup select 'No Group'. Not quite like Pro Tools - but Logic & Pro Tools can do most of the same stuff (people tell me) but just get there in different ways ;-) Rounik
  • amerikiwi
    So is the Gropu clutch just not working in Logic pro 8.1? pitty. I am wondering why the 'enable' button is there in the Group settings window, did they forget to make it work? thanks though.... Amerikiwis
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi The Group clutch temporarily disables all Groups (their names/numbers all go grey. To assign a Channel to most recently assigned group option click on the group box on the Channel strip. Clicking it again sends it to 'No group' mode. So essentially double clicking with option held down turns that channels strips group setting to Off. I've looked for a key command to "enable"/ "disable" a particular group but there isn't one. I think it would be really useful! The workaround would be to keep the group setting floating window open (option-command-G) and scroll through the group settings that way. Might be useful to create a specific screenset for this if it's something you need to do a lot. I've just sent some feedback to the Logic developers to request a key command that can scroll through to enable/disable a group on an individual channel. If you'd like to do the same this is the link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/logicpro.html Cheers Rounik
  • amerikiwi
    Hey Rounik. thanks for the dialog. are you in the UK? So When I use the clutch and the yellow 1 box goes grey, I STILL HAVE ALL ITEMS SELECTED FOLLOWING THE GROUP. so when in group mode if i drag one fader up ,they all go up (good, thats what I want) BUT when I use the clutch and all the yellow 1's goes grey again, IF I PULL ONE FADER DOWN well, they all go down, and follow like, well a group. So is this just me or is this NOT disabeling the group at all. do I have a bug? Amerikiwi
  • Rounik Admin
    [/quote] BUT when I use the clutch and all the yellow 1's goes grey again, IF I PULL ONE FADER DOWN well, they all go down, and follow like, well a group. So is this just me or is this NOT disabeling the group at all. do I have a bug? Amerikiwi[/quote] Hi Amerikiwi Yes I'm in the UK. Bristol. You from New Zealand ("kiwi')? Well using the Group Clutch for me does temporarily disable the group settings. I'd replicating your group behaviour - but so far no success. It works fine here. What version of Logic are you using? 7, 8, 8.0.1? Could you also provide more details about your setup, OS version etc. To clarify, you have 4,5 tracks assigned to a variety of groups. When you toggle group clutch on (the numbers in the group boxes on the Channel strips turn light grey) moving a fader causes the faders of Channels (that share the same group) to move too? Strange. By the way I'm on Logic 8.0.1, OS 10.4.10, Intel Mac. Cheers Rounik
  • amerikiwi
    ok i think I am getting the hang of it now. by the way I am on a mac g4 ox 10.4.10 using Logic 8.1. a few things had confused me regarding the groups 1. after I had made a group, often it took a bit of playing with the clutch before it 'took hold' of the group. almost like it needed to think about it. I'v noticed this when assigning a control surface knob on my M audio Ozonic. that I sort of have to wiggle the controller a bit for Logic to learn the 'throw' of the object. what I mean is, I relation to the groups, I had specified a few channels to be in a group (drum toms) and then after the groups were enabled and the yellow light lit for that group, if I dragged down one fader it would not follow on the other tom channels. however, if I toggled the clutch on & off a bit, maybe two times, then after a few toggles the group would 'get it' and work. not right way though. 2. if I had shift clicked a few channels then they would act is if grouped already when it came to volume changes. un shifting them stopped this. A nice feature if you don't need a group all the time. i'm not a Kiwi, I am an American, but my Wife is - so we are Amerikiwis! thanks for the help amerikiwi
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: