macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Time and Pitch Machine is grey...
    Hi Guys, forgive me for asking the obvious question but are you sure you're not working on apple loops or CAF files in general? That would be the first thing to stop time and pitch machine working! Cheers, John
  • bprice
    Mac mini,L8 Express, wav, It was an MP3 so I converted it (I saw nothing in the manual that said this was necessary but maybe there is). After that it still didn't work...for a few minutes then it un grayed....I tried multiple times it seemed to take at least 5 minutes..sorry... that's just wackiness!!. Ive seen this exact same problem in my search no one had a solid reason...sounds buggy to me...heheehaw! BP
  • Rounik Admin
    You need to convert mp3's or apple lossless (or any compressed audio file formats) into PCM (e.g. aiff, wave). You will then be able to process them in the Sample Editor. :) Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Kia Ora! mp3s are similar to apple loops in that they are a compressed file format and when you want to work on files, such as time stretching and pitch shifting, you generally do have to convert them in to a native uncompressed language that Logic and other DAW can understand. The Gui/ project upgrading refreshing does sound odd though. From memory though, Logic should convert mp3s to an uncompressed format for you. How are you bringing in your files? Cheers, John
  • Cajypiu
    snap! Kia Ora Rounik.
  • bprice
    I imported the file.I assumed it did the conversion from mp3 to wav or aif when i did...i assumed wrong... Why it takes any time to ungray makes no sense to me.It could at least "prompt"me..but that would be too Logical...:)
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi bprice, I haven't checked the manual for LE 8, but in the Logic Pro 9 manual (p.339) it does include info on importing compressed audio files. Read the Note at the end for specific info: "Importing Compressed Audio Files Logic Pro allows you to directly play back the following compressed audio file formats: - AAC - Compression format: MPEG-4 AAC - Sample rates: 8 kHz, 11.025 kHz, 12 kHz, 16 kHz, 22.05 kHz, 24 kHz, 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 64 kHz, 88.2 kHz, or 96 kHz - MP3 - 44.1 kHz files - Stereo files encoded at 48 or higher kbps, mono files encoded at 32 or more kbps - iTunes/Logicencodedfiles - AppleLosslessfiles These files are not automatically converted when imported into Logic Pro. The compressed audio file is added to the Arrange area, and a region that encompasses the complete audio file is created. You can edit this region in the same fashion as a normal audio region in the Arrange area. You can cut it, loop it, rename it, and so on. Note: It is not possible to assign fades to compressed audio files, nor can you destructively edit them." Hope that helps! Rounik
  • Time and Pitch Machine is greyed
    Sorry guys but i'm having a similar problem with the time and pitch machine being grey... I've read that i need to convert the mp3 that i am using into an .aiff, but for the life of me cant find how to convert it? I use logic 9 if it is relevent!
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Welcome to the forums! Open the Bin. Select the file and choose: Audio File > Copy/Convert file(s) make sure to choose Aiff or wave format. You could even Bounce the region in the Arrange are by right clicking on it and selecting Bounce In Place. Cheers Rounik
  • Zyvecia
    Wow!! I wished I'd read this thread before I spent 8 hours trying to resolve a similar issue. I had imported a song from iTunes to pitch shift and experienced the same "greyed-out" state of the "Time & Pitch Machine" selection in Sample Editor and spent hours trying to figure out how to un-grey it. Finally, found this thread and re-imported the audio file as an "aif" and things are working swimmingly now. The fact that I re-imported the song was an extra step I didn't need to take after seeing here that I could have just executed and conversion from within Logic. I'm learning something every day about this powerful tool. Thanks all. newbie4now
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: