macProVideo.com
Forums
  • BONGOLICIOUS
    INTERFACE OPINIONS?
    APOGEE ENSEMBLE, MOTU, RME 800, WHY ONE OVER THE OTHER ? PROS ,CONS, DIFFFERENCES?? BESIDES $. I RUN A MACBOOK PRO, LOGIC 8.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: INTERFACE OPINIONS?
    Hi Bongolicious, welcome to MacProvideo! The interfaces you've mentioned are all great pro pieces of equipment, but which MOTU interface were you looking at? I would say firstly, what are your needs? Do you require many simultaneous inputs? What about outputs? Are you going to be recording real instruments or working with soft synths more. (Are the quality of the mic pre's a deciding factor)? The RME 800 has 8 balanced line I/O's & 4 Phantom Powered Mic Pres. The Apogee ensemble also has 4 digitally controlled 75db microphone preamps, 2 fully balanced inserts on mic pre channels, and 4 Hi-Z instrument inputs. Also worth noting the RME 800 gets good reviews due to it's "steady clock" functions whereas the Apogee is well known for being the only interface that can be fully controlled (levels, sample rates etc) from within Logic. It depends on your needs and budget. Let us know and perhaps others can also advise. Thanks Rounik
  • BONGOLICIOUS
    Preamps are important, i plan on recording real instruments as well as external midi devices and software synth. I KNOW THESE interfaces are subjective, but is it worth spending more on the apogee or rme vs a motu product. For example U can buy certain interfaces @ a fraction of the cost with more preamps but can one truly discern the differences between the audio quality of preamps and conversion?? How does a consumer make decisions, to many sales guys have there objectives, Im hoping for some to understand why and what I purcahse.
  • Cajypiu
    Hi there, you're right, it is subjective but the quality of your productions rarely boil down to just one or two items. For example, as nice as it would be to have the best convertors on the planet, realistically, what's the point if the room you are recording in is untreated, you've got limited access to decent mics and you're mixing/ mastering in the same room through iPod headphones.. if you dig my meaning. It would also depend on who/ what you are providing material for. Polished podcasts/ demos etc.. it doesn't really matter if it's a crusty recording.. it's more the seed of an idea to get across to someone who might pay to do it properly. I bought myself a really nice mic when I first started out thinking my recordings would be the mutts nuts. It was nice and sensitive alright to the point where it picked up fan noise, traffic noise, squeaky floor boards which I never really had a problem with when I was just using a bog standard dynamic.
  • Wantless
    I will just state that the MOTU interfaces are a great deal for the money and I still use my 828 for a second recording space. The main issue with the MOTU stuff though is the clock which does have a relatively high jitter in comparison to the RME and Apogee stuff. If you do have budget concerns on the higher end stuff, I would feel that the MOTU gear is excellent bang for the buck and there is always the option of later upgrading it via Black Lion Audio in the future if you are up for some Warranty invalidating modifications. With all that said though, in the long run, you may be better off just spending more money on the higher end gear from the start over upgrading later. To be honest, get the best you can afford taking in to concideration that without good quality monitors and experienced ears, you may never be able to tell the difference between any of them.
  • BONGOLICIOUS
    thanks for repilies !! I sees ya point, Im looking for the best quality in my budget means and Im looking to sell my stuff direct. so on some level i have to compete with frequencies that the general heard is acustom to! Im from the school of making the best of what U got and don't care to spend a bucketfull of cash on 1 particular piece of equipment, but will make wise investments. Ive made really good recordings in garageband with only the mic built into the macbookpro and some irish engineering! But want to make the next leap, so i bought logicpro and built a nice studio in my basement, but i also like to be portable, Im a hand drummer, but also like mixing midim based drums and loops via drum macines. "Real world scenario" I have my congas,bongos,timbales and various varietal stuff along with my roland spd sampling pad ,dr. 880 and software triggard synths via external keys and pads all mic uped and ready to rip, because my approach is a synergy anf flow, and once I start channeling its ON so i want to be able to capture real time the final take, mix and create on fly and not get bogged down with stopping and technical things, thus killin my VIBE! I need help in ths chain of flow and equipment! have logic, macbookpro, mackie's new monitors, rhodes nt2a, audix drumset mics, but need interface and preamps!!!
  • Cajypiu
    OK.. sounds cool. So just quickly, how many simultaneous inputs will you be tracking and what type are they? All mics that require pre amps, or line out/ ins from sampler and any guitarists that might pop over for a jam that might want to be mic'd and DI'd?
  • BONGOLICIOUS
    2 midi drum machines, 4 is absolute minimum but 8+ would be ideal for additional setup and musicians.
  • Cajypiu
    I wasn't quite sure if you meant you were mic'ing up everything there but to be honest, as Brian said, the 828 is hard to beat value for money wise. The good thing is, it expandable too. It has ADAT connection which means you can hook another 8 channels on, it also has external word clock sync so if you did feel that you had come to a point where you're recordings needed to go to the next level, you could look at clocking to a better master clock and you could also incorporate better mic pres and taking advantage of external A/D conversion and SPDIF/TOSLINK that signal in to the 828. Apogee stuff is good, no denying that, but you pay for it, as with RME. Alternatively, you can look at products such as this, http://www.presonus.com/fp10.html, but from what I can see, there is no ADAT. You can daisy chain but that would be expanding using the same units therefore, not allowing the use of better equipment at a later date. Anyone else got other suggestions.
  • Rounik Admin
    I would pretty much agree with Yadj word for word. The 828 is great bang for buck. The Apogee & RME are great but expensive. Presonus Firestudio is another good option. Nice pre's and lots of them for the price. Depending on your budget i think it's a hard but enjoyable decision ;-) Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: