macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Rupyriu
    Recording binaural (or plug-in) settings live.
    Is there a way to record the binaural settings live, rather than setting the bin. angle and bin. distance in the Arrange window? In fact, I'd like to be able to do live recordings of several plug-in effects using the window that pops up when you double click on the effect in the channel strip, while the sequence is playing. If this was covered in a tutorial, I don't remember it. But it sure would be helpful.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Recording binaural (or plug-in) settings live.
    The way to record the panning/binaural settings would be to record your desired audio source (audio or MIDI) then set the binaural settings (or you can do this step before you record). Now, bounce the track and reimport it into your project. The panning information will be bounced too. Is that want you want to achieve? Best Rounik
  • Rupyriu
    Thanks so much for responding so soon! Unless I am misunderstanding your reply, it isn't what I want to do. I want to be changing the binaural settings as the track plays, and record those changes. It seems as if the binaural was on a bus that the sounds I want to have affected by the binaural plug-in are assigned to, that could somehow be accomplished, but I don't have a clue how. I guess the question is can you make changes in any plug-in using it's window, and actually record those changes in real time?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey again! Ahh..now i see what you mean. sorry about the misunderstanding! This is one of my fav features in Logic. It's called automation. It's covered in some depth in the Logic 101: Core Logic 8 tutorial video. It's a big topic so I'd recommend you look it up in the manual (the pdf manual located in Logic's help menu is search able too) page 581. Also I'm going to refer you to a post i wrote earlier today which describes a basic step by step 'how to automate' [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/forum/logic/logic-pro-express&id=6044[/url] If you have more questions, do ask! Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    .. and just to add to that, you want to automate the bus channel.. i.e. the one with the binaural plug on. Incidentally, anyone know of a quick and easy way of getting a bus channel in to the arrange page in order to do this? In Logic 8 it seems a bit harder to do this compared to 7 unless I've missed a preference setting somewhere!
  • Rupyriu
    If I understand your question, what I do is select an audio track. In the channel strip settings click and hold Output 1-2 and then mouse over Bus to see all the Busses that are configured in your setup and choose one. Then assign your other tracks to that Bus.
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Yadj I *don't think* we're talking about the same binaual plugin in. Are you thinking of the Inserts menu > Imaging one? If you go to Outputs of a channel strip and click hold in the drop down menu you'll see 'Binaural'. Click it. You should still be assigned to outputs1-2 or whatever you had before. Now double click where the pan pot usually is and a 'Binaural' window opens. This wasn't the one you were talking about, was it? To get a bus into the Arrange window quickly, 1. open the Mixer 'X'. 2. Select your desired Aux channel strip. 3. Go to Options > Create Arrange Tracks for selected Channel Strips. This is not a key command :( I usually do this though: 1. In the Arrange create a new track (i usually prefer to create another track header for an existing track: (option - cmnd - M) 2. Now right click on the new track header. 3. Select Reassign Track Object...Select Mixer > Aux > etc... Cheers Rounik
  • Cajypiu
    Sweet.. cheers Rounik. I'm still using Logic 7 mainly hence my lack of familiarity! I'm used to either double clicking in the mixer to pop a track in to the arrange or double clicking in a spare spot in the arrange and click holding to reassign. With the Binaural thing, I misunderstood, I thought he was sending to a bus to submix binaural processing, hence making sure the bus was the target object for automation. Cheers for the clarification though :)
  • Rounik Admin
    That's cool Yadj - didn't realise you're on 7.2. If we had the ability to post pictures I'd take one of the Binaural panning plug and put it up here. It's great fun to play with. With regards to the Aux. If my memory is holding up, if you select an aux in th arrange then you can add a new one easily. Select Aux 1 / Bus 1, whatever kind of track. Use the key command for 'create next track'... In Logic 7, most of my templates had an aux, bus etc either hidden or at the bottom of my arrange so i could quickly create additional ones as needed. :)
  • Cajypiu
    Yeah being able to post pictures would be handy alright! And PM people... and having an avatar or at least a signature with what kit/ versions people are one. Makes life a 'little' easier :) That Binaural thing certainly sounds pretty trick... will check it out at some point. If I go Logic 8 then I would 'feel the need' to upgrade the hardware... and that in turn would mean going UB on all my software which will cost a fortune! Unless... anyone knows of a quad G5 going cheap in NZ!? Anyone...... anyone.... .. and roger that on the create next track, do it all the time and yeah.. just have to be sensible with the autoload! Aren't these forums brilliant.. now comes with... raspberry!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Subscribe to receive an email for each new post on this thread. Please login
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: