macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Futant Mutant
    kick drum
    Hi there, I'm a newbie to logic 8 :) Does anyone know a good way of finding the dominant pitch/frequency of a kick drum sample? I ask this cos i'm writing a psy-trance tune and want to tune the kick and bass so they are of the same note (for more resonance). Should I be using the spectrum analyzer in multimeter or analyzer in the eq to look at it somehow and then tune it? if so how? or is there another way altogether?
  • Christian L
    Re: kick drum
    First try out the Logic's [i]tuner[/i] plugin. It's located in Metering > Tuner. Insert it on your kick insert. A kick is usually not a definite pitch like a piano or a guitar, but you should have a general idea... for example G#. Then load up a clean bass or piano patch on a track. Play your kick and try to hum it. Play the low note that was read on the [i]tuner[/i]plugin (in my example a low G#) with the bass or piano patch. Your humming should match this note... I hope my explanation is clear enough. Tell me how it goes. :-)
  • Futant Mutant
    Many thanks Christian! This works quite well, nice little plugin that tuner! My kick and bass sound quite nice and tight. Like you said " a kick is usually not a definite pitch..." so It seems best to do it by ear. I have to confess that I actually usually make my own kicks out of a sinewave on an old pc laptop (oh the horror) using soundforge. This means I know the fundamental frequency of my kick. I learned how to do this from the following tutorial shown here: http://www.psymatix.com/kickdrum.html Is there a way of doing something like this within logic so I don't have to use my old pc anymore?
  • Christian L
    Are you familiar with Ultrabeat ? That's what I would use to create a kick with a sine wave. Here's how : 1-Open Ultrabeat on a track. (Click-hold on the I/O slot of a software instrument track and choose Ultrabeat.) 2-The default patch will load. It already includes 2 different kicks. You can preview them by clicking on the keyboard keys of the Ultrabeat interface. 3-Control Click (or right-click) on the first Kick drum and choose Init > Kick. It will load up a kick made with OSC 1 sine wave. 4-Turn the little green "via" to off so the velocity has no effect on your kick. 5-Control the pitch of your Sine with the OSC 1 red "pitch" slider. By default it will be set to the "A0" note (55 Hz). 6-Control the Kick "startup note" with the blue "pitch" slider. By default it is set to G3. For an exact 3 octaves pitchbend, set it to "A3". 7-You can control the pitch enveloppe at the right bottom of the Ultrabeat interface. Click on "3" and you can change the "Attack" and "Decay" by moving the node points. The Ultrabeat interface can somewhat look intimidating... Steve H. covers it all in details in this tutorial : [url]http://www.macprovideo.com/tutorial/ultrabeat[/url] Have fun with your kick drums!
  • Futant Mutant
    Awesome! No more PC for me hehe!I hadn't thought I would use Ultrabeat much 'cos i've been using NI Battery for drums, but now I've had a look at it i'm mightily impressed. Thanks so much for your reply! Now i'm definitely gonna get the ultrabeat tutorial. Been going through the new ES2 tutorial and Steve H makes me smile. Hopefully there'll be a big grin on my face during the Ultrabeat tutorial - i'm sure there will! Big respect to macProVideo.com! :)
  • Christian L
    Cool! I'm sure you will enjoy this incredible drum synth!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: