macProVideo.com
Forums
  • odessaflyer
    question-tutorials-
    Following the tutorials, I've created my Hyper-editor using Ulrabeat, and also my layered instruments ( though there are menu changes in logic 8 it seems) and I've also got my arpeggiator with transorm switch.In another tutorial I see how the "regions " are looped and arranged, and I have all my channel strips, plugins, eq, etc, set to record, I've created two tracks - one with ultabeat using both it's sequencer and hyper-editor, and I also used the hyper editor to create a track using the layered instrumensts...I set my 4 bar loop at the top and hit play...everything is playing/sounding fine...now I want to record these midi tracks so that I can make audio regions out them and use those audio regions to begin to arrange/compose my final song? is this the way to do it?...I've checked out the bounce tutorial but there's something I'm not yet getting about the final way in which I get all my midi and virtual intrumenst and even audio tracks into the final step in order to record the final form that the final song will take- my final file that i will burn onto a CD?? Can someone briefly give the general steps for the stages to the final record process? I know enough about autoimation and mixing - there's just something in the beginning to end steps for recording I don't yet see. One more question - it seems to me the step Input keyboard could be very handy and I see there are key commands for it. Can someone explain how much do they find the step input keyboard an essential tool if we are composing electronic music? Thanks Jake
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: question-tutorials-
    Hi Jake... wow that's a big question ;-) ! My advice is this: When you record soft synths in Logic, keep them in MIDI form for as long as possible. Some musicians bounce their soft synth tracks to audio at varying time within a project and for a variety of reasons. The benefits of having your synth as MIDI notes in the piano roll are they will be very easy to edit later. Anyway, after you've bounced individual tracks to audio (by soloing each one and then adding them to your existing arrange or starting a new project) do the following to put your finished track on to CD: 1. Make sure your arrangement plays as you wish. 2. Go to File > Bounce 3. Select Aiff/wav 4. If you're end delivery medium is CD select 16bit 5. make sure the sample rate is 44100 (for CD - and select a dither setting. 6. Set the start and end points. 7. Select "offline" so Logic bounces your project quickly and you won't be able to hear it in realtime, or "realtime" if you wish to listen to it at the same time. 8. Find your file. It's now ready to be burnt onto CD. You can use Waveburner or Toast or even iTunes to burn it onto CD. Let us know if this helps. Cheers Rounik
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:3476] One more question - it seems to me the step Input keyboard could be very handy and I see there are key commands for it. Can someone explain how much do they find the step input keyboard an essential tool if we are composing electronic music? Thanks Jake[/quote] Ah..I missed your last question there... I guess it's a personal thing really, like many things in Logic - there are many ways to do achieve the same result and many functions that some may never need or want to use. For me the step input keyboard is something I teach to others but honestly doesn't feature very often in my composition workflow. Despite it's power and ability to create complex patterns quite quickly I prefer to use my MIDI keyboard and then edit later. If I'm ever mobile I tend to use the Caps Lock Keyboard. I'd imagine that it might be very useful for those composing more score based/orchestral pieces? Cheers Rounik
  • odessaflyer
    Thanks Rounik! I come from the back ground of recording electric guitar/hardware effects in pro-tools. then migrated over to electronic music and...Logic. I also use(d) a older Xpander synth and 909, i controlled with a Micr-Q with it's own arpeggiator. What I liked about it was the "live" spontaneous "happy accidents" that are possible with hands on, "on-the-flky" mixer and effects while recording... now I have a remote SL as controller and Logic...everyhting is much more virtual and on the computer screen. In Logic, there are virtual instruments and the excellent tools for sequencing midi ( hyper editor and pioano roll - Ultrabeat sequencer) However...the actual recording/sequencing is "different" than just to play and record with hardware 909, XP,micr-Q. So now we have: 1) audio tracks 2) virtual instruments 3) ext midi instruments 4) imported wave files. 5) Bounce I see from Martin Sitetr's tutorial such important concepts as "Anchoring" and cutting and looping sections of audio files. I've also understood the value of "shifting audio" in Steve's tutorial. And I do see what your saying about keeping the midi files for the complete song... So right now...I have a four bar loop in the hyper editor/piano roll editor for a layered instrument in the esx24, and in Ultrabeat. I have everything set to record. In fact the hyper editor already recorded the midi notes. I also see how to set up multiple patterns in the Ultrabeat sequencer and then grab them and slide them onto a track into the arrange...and I see the value of slicing up audio into loops to arrange the song. I'm grappling with how to keep as much of a live feel in the composition while trying to get a better grasp of how to sequence and record each type of file format - and do it so that it all lines up syncinmg with the tempo, at th same time. I hope I am making some kind of sense in my question. It is not a simple question of just hit the record button...play some parts and there's your track and then add another track. The bounce feature is very different to the "live" work flow. but I thin it's because I just don't get the best ways to take all the "ingredients meaning different file types mentioned above and then getting from there to the final progression of the song...which then must be "bounced to the format for mastering...am i making any sense? Thanks in advance!:) Jake
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: