macProVideo.com
Forums
  • odessaflyer
    Tutorial Suggestion #2
    Hi Steve.. you mention in your NAMM Blog the desire for new controllers. I see one I would like to have in the future..but even before then I have a Remote Sl Controller Keyboard..and it has Automapping for Logic..I would like to see a tutorial on MIDI MAPPING - and using Controller #s, using external controllers for live controls of Logic, for such devices as virtual instruments...But especially Midi Mapping and how it is done. Thanks for the great Tutorials! Jake
  • Cajypiu
    Re: Tutorial Suggestion #2
    Hi Steve, yeah I think that would be useful including stuff like splitters so you can control faders in a bank arrangement. I remember when I first got my Novation Remote 25, it came with a template logic file but it totally confused me and also gave me all kinds of grief with basic control such as transport functions. Made Logic throw a fit and left me swearing... I'd never try it again unless I went Mackie HUI or proper control surface integration.
  • steveH
    ... what kind of MIDI mapping and control... can you be more specific?
  • steveH
    ... what do you mean " in a bank arrangement"
  • Cajypiu
    For example, you have four MIDI fader controls on your keyboard. And you would like to have those four faders control your mixer volume faders but in banks of four. So as far as I understand it, you use several splitters assigned to different channels strips so you can individually control the volume of each of the channel's faders, and pots for that matter, but in banks of four... so you use the same MIDI faders on your keyboard but depending on which splitter you have highlighted will depend on what channels are controlled.... if you see what I mean.
  • steveH
    So you want to be able to switch the routing (and function) of some hardware controls by activating a switch in Logic's environment?
  • Cajypiu
    Something else I'm never quite sure of is assigning the same fader or pot to multiple parameters. The quick learn MIDI assignment 'wizard' is much better these days but understanding what the different controller types are and what they are best for. DOesn't have to be exhaustive, but enough of an idea to go experiment. Assigning controllers to plug ins too, do you physically delete each assignment when you are finished to avoid multiple parameter control when you don't want it. At the moment I tend to do everything with the mouse but there are times when I wish I had that live mixing performance element. A lot of it will come to mixing planning and what effects and sends you want to have up but you know, being able to control pans, sends and delay parameters for a dub remix would be good. I've seen a few product demos of the the Euphonix controls released at NAMM which look nice. Expensive, but nice.
  • Cajypiu
    yup... think of a flexible environment situation for a mobile musician with an Oxygen 8 or some other 25 note MIDI controller with a few midi controllers and rotary encoders. What would be good working scenarios for extended production control. ... and other tricks I might not even know about.. come on Steve read my mind and tell me what I need ;)
  • steveH
    I look into my crystal ball and see knobs and faders controlling all sorts of stuff!!!
  • Cajypiu
    Indeed, like a proper mad professor. And to think, all that's now needed is to learn a few more environment tricks, including the location of that elusive 'make my music appealing' button... and make smoking a pipe more fashionably acceptable in a non le Captaine from tin tin type way.. and I'm set!
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: