macProVideo.com
Forums
  • odessaflyer
    Re: Tutorial Suggestion #2
    ..How about Virtual Money Routing from a keyboard controller..that can be sent to our laptop printer from anywhere in the world?:) I am interested in the future potential of live performance with laptop and Logic. Logic 8 also has Mainstage and I've not heard a word about it and it seems like something I'd be very interested in a tutorial on also. My Remote SL has the Automap templates - and like YADJ says I would like to have far more control with faders, external knobs, Faders, etc..someday I would like to own one of the high end DJ mixers which have extensive capability for MIDI Mapping and controls...and it would be great to know more about how Logic Environemt, Automap templates and Midi Mapping can be set up in Logic! Oh and one more thing!! I woulkd really like to know how to set up NODES !!! between two laptops..I have an old small G4 motoroal chip and the new G4 with Intel so I could do it. Thanks! Jake
  • Cajypiu
    .. that could have it's uses.. as long as it had an option to be able to print to toilet paper. You might want to investigate touch tracks Jake, if you haven't already and are in to your live stuff. It enables you to put entire multitrack songs, or parts of songs, mapped on to individual keys of your keyboard. .. and nodes are fairly straight forward. Install the node software on the computer who's resources you want to tap in to, so not the machine you're working on in Logic. It does state on the apple website that G4s are not really all that suitable, and that they say G5s and above work but I know I got it to work when I was experimenting.... don't don't expect too much. The other thing you will have to check is that you can run PPC and Intel chipped macs at the same time. You may find that nodes only work with likewise chipsets. Once everything checks out, open up logic and go to it's preferences and where you'd see audio driver setup stuff, there should be a node tab. Click on that, activate nodes and I think that should be it. Go to your arrange page and under the local view menu there is a show node button or something like that. It will be similar to hide tracks and hiding the solo/ mute buttons. Make sure nodes are visable and then, every time you want to farm off a track's processing to your node computer, click the node button. It might think about it but then you should be able to see activity going on in the extra core bar that will have appeared during the proceedings on your system performance meter. There's an other key little tool to always have open somewhere, system performance window found under the global Audio menu... or option Y keyboard shortcut unless they have changed it.
  • odessaflyer
    well, maybe where I am located at the moment I could route it into the EURO Conveter instead if I just had some knobs and faders and transform tutorials - more nifty tools to do with the environent. Thanks for the tip on the touch tracks YADJ - I will check this out now. I think the area of continuos controller numbers and some idea how to use them..and definitley more knowledge of how to use the environment tools, and ext knobs and faders..There is also pattern sequencer and mute controls from keyboard - Thanks for the information about setting up nodes. Maybe this is not the wat to go? I saw an article about a DJ who used two Mac laptops with a mixer - he used one laptop for sample library and the other running Logic..how would he have integrated the two laptops if he did not use nodes? Thanks! J**~
  • Cajypiu
    Hi Jake, depends on what computer you have and what you are trying to farm off. I'd say freezing tracks is a better.. and cheaper, way of doing it. As far as I know it's only for Logic plugs as well.. and they tend to be the most efficient too. It seems a bit overkill if someone was using a laptop for a sample library, I'd just use an external hard drive myself.. unless you are using something like Giga Studio which is PC only. You can ethernet two computers together and sync them using MTC. There is a freeware app out there that lets you do it. Another way of doing it is that I know Ableton Live has a feature in it's latest release which allows you to sync a laptop to a CDJ. Carl Cox played over here the other week and he had two laptops running Live synced to two CDJs.... he might even have had three CDJs but you know.. he's one of those multi-tasking freaks of nature. He is so quick!
  • odessaflyer
    Hi YADJ Thanks for replying.. I recently purchased a new G4 ( or is it 5 ) Intel Chip MacBook Pro 17' with 2.61 processor / 4K Memory..I bought this after having my G4 MacBook 17" 1.6 processor Motoroal chip - stolen. However I also have the first "Titanium 15" with 1gig processor, and 1000 ram...for the time being this will have to do...Even though the smaller Mac is limited...it still crunches bytes with pretty impressive power..well, it's a mac. I also have Ableton live running through rewire. I would be very interested to know in more detail how Carl Cox had set up between the two CDJs( I am assuming you mean two CD Turntables. In the future when money permits, i plan to purchase a DJ Mixer and maybe turntables. But I have some ideas..as I also have ext devices - as well as, record my own samples. I've recently been getting these samples into the ESX24 and usning the Hyper editor and piano roll to begin to record. I'd like to figure out the best ways to make my own "Kits" ...I see how to set up zones..but to get multiple sounds going at the same time...I wonder if I should set up different Output channels or set up a series ofr ESX24s? Aiming for the future, I would really appreciate the instructions for how to set up as your describing it for Using two laptops and the 2(3)CDJs and how it all gets routed into Live and then live Interfacing wioth Logic. It seems that Live will only record Audio into Logic..is there a work around for getting Live Midi tracks to record into Logic? Hope I'm making myself fairly clear! Thanks for the info!! Jake
  • steveH
    I'm getting my first copy of Live in a few weeks! I, too, am looking to interface the two programs together...recording Logic into Live in real time... I can't wait to explore the possibilities! Steve
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: