macProVideo.com
Forums
  • blakeloud
    Synchronizing audio and midi track problems
    Ok, i'm having enough of a hard time recording ultrabeat loops in my project, but when i try to record an audio track over it, after a few seconds it cancels as an error message reads "audio and midi tracks are having problems synchronizing..(or something)" then it asks to continue, i say yes, and it pops up again five seconds later.
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Synchronizing audio and midi track problems
    Hi Blake There are a few things you can do to help with this issue. What version of Logic, OS, are you running and what about your MIDI devices and interface and your mac? What are your I/O buffer settings? Lower settings are great for lower latency (better when recording) but not so nice on your computers resources... Is your audio interfaces sample rate set to the same as your Logic's project sample rate? These are just a couple of possible solutions: Have a look at this article too: [url]http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304113[/url] Do post back to let us know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
  • blakeloud
    mac osx 10.4.11, logic pro 8, and my sample rates matched and the problem magically disappeared. thank you for the info and links. now, i see a different error message constantly... "System Overload. The audio engine was not able to process all required data in time. (-10011)" Can you help me again please?
  • blakeloud
    also, why can't i see the ultrabeat track once it's in my project? I can't move it to where I want it to come in and out, it just plays the whole time.
  • Bj
    Hi Blake, Here's a Quote from an earlier post by Christian that might help... "First you need to turn off the Ultrabeat sequencer by clicking on the power button under "Sequencer". Next, click-and-hold on the area at the right of the word "pattern" (at the bottom left of the ultrabeat window)... you drag this into your arrange page on the ultrabeat track. This will export the pattern in the arrange page as a midi region." Cheers, Bj
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Blake Sorry for getting back to your earlier question about system overloads so late. It makes it easier to keep track of points if we try and keep new questions to new posts. ;) System Overloads can be caused by many things. For example an external HD used to store samples can cause this message if it falls asleep and you try activating the Play button. Could you tell us more about your system... what version of Logic, OS, computer type, speed, ram - size of project you are using - lots of plugins? Are you recording to an external HD? Space left on HD? etc. A few things I'd suggest would be to 1. increase your I/O buffer setting until you find a healthy balance between latency and no "system overload..." messages. 2. Make sure you've got the most up to date drivers for your audio interface. 3. Repair permissions (Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.... Repair Permissions) 4. Quit other programs in the background while Logic is running 5. Freeze tracks if none of the above work as this might simply mean that your computer cannot handle the number of tracks/plug-ins you're throwing at it. Let us know how it works out. Cheers Rounik
  • blakeloud
    My Hardware Overview: Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz Number Of Processors: 1 Total Number Of Cores: 2 L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB Memory: 2 GB Bus Speed: 800 MHz Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02 SMC Version: 1.16f8 Logic Pro 8 This problem has persisted and seems to be getting worse. I have 30GB available on my hd, and I haven't tried recording an orchestra or anything. I'm talking 6-8 tracks at a time. It will stop most of the time when I'm playing back a song. Can I repair without worries of losing data?
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Blake Just to confirm, you're on Logic 8.0.0 not 8.0.1? Have you tried the other four points from my previous post? Repair permissions will not delete your data at all! Essentially, it helps OS X to determine the correct 'permissions' of files... It can only do good! It's recommended by many that repair permissions is done before and after installing software and/or on a regular basis. Regardless of this, it's always a good idea to clone/backup your system or at least your important files regularly. Do you use an external drive to record on to or run samples/projects from? It could help your situation too, because the Macbook pro has a slow internal HD (5,400rpm). Most desktops and externals run at 7,200rpm which is better for audio and video work. Cheers Rounik
  • blakeloud
    Logic 8.0.1 actually. I will definitely try repairing permissions, but I am blown away that an external hard drive would ever be faster than my internal. Are you suggesting that when I create a project in Logic, I create it entirely on my external? That seems like I would be going through a big traffic jam every time I sent information rather than just using my internal. Let me know. Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Hey Blake I should have added that repairing permissions is a very good maintenance procedure for your mac... Yes, It's a good idea to either/and run your samples/projects etc from an external or second internal drive (any drive that is not your boot drive running OS X and Logic). On my imac, despite having a fast internal HD I run my projects from an external, and it makes a difference. If you have a standard macbookpro configuration it'll have an HD that runs at 5,400 rpm. That's not ideal for audio/video. Most firwire external drives run at 7200rpm which is faster and means your mac can retrieve, find, process etc files more quickly. There shouldn't be a traffic jam as such because you have a fast bus (no pun intended ;). OSX and Logic will be running from your internal drive and the project files and samples and recordings will be being done on your external. On my old powerbook i used to run everything off the internal HD but was constantly facing problems under Logic 7. Once I began using a firewire external (even though it was daisychained (linked) to my audio interface I found I could record, playback etc more tracks than before....and that was with a very old Powerbook! I'm not suggesting that an external drive will solve the overloads issue completely. The first thing I'd do is increase the buffer settings and repair permissions and restart and then go from there. Thanks Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: