macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Braden
    Midi to audio problem
    Hi .... I've converted a bunch of midi drum parts [from an external sampler] to audio instrument tracks. All of them play back except one and I can't get it to work. There's a visible audio region so I know logic recorded it but something seems to be derailing the output on playback and I've checked all the channel settings in the inspector and the environment .......I think they're correct , and still nothing. Never had this problem before. Would anyone know what the problem might be ? thanks Brad
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Midi to audio problem
    Hi Braden I'm not sure I understand the question completely... Have you converted the MIDI files to audio files? Are they audio regions that sit on an audio track or are they MIDI notes that are contained within a MIDI region on a software instrument track? If it's an audio region on an audio track: Check that the audio track is not a duplicate of another audio track with it's own audio regions playing simultaneously. Create a new track or reassign the selected track to it's own channel. If it's a MIDI region on a software instrument track: Double click the region. Are there MIDI notes in the piano roll? Move it to another soft. inst. track. Does it play? Are you using Ultrabeat/EXS24 to play it. Are the samples loaded ok? Is Output1-2 selected for the track? Have you got the mute button activated in the Mixer window by mistake? Is the soft. synth (UB, EXS24) in bypass mode? Hope one of these helps. Let us know how you get on. Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Hi Rounik Yes the midi drum part is already converted to an audio region on an audio track....no instrument tracks involved. i've checked the channels for duplicates and there are none that I can see. When i put the audio track in record, there's no activity on the meter to show anything is coming into it, but a region shows on the track. Any thing else you could suggest ? thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    sounds like you either have the input level n your interface turned down or you don't you have the correct inputs set up. (just above the outputs i/o on the channel strip is the inputs box.) also check the outputs of the ext. midi synth and your interface. Does that help? Rounik
  • Braden
    The in/ outputs on logics channel strip are same as the ones that are playing so I don't think thats it. I have a Motu 828Mk 2 and I'm sending the external sample stuff into it from a Mackie 24 - 8 board. Haven 't had the interface that long...but it seems pretty basic to use. The Mackie channel strip and the sampler both light up and the midi track plays, but once in Logic.......nothing comes back Could it be the 828 ?
  • Rounik Admin
    is the track in logic definitely record enabled? What happens if you create a new audio track and try recording on that? Have you had success recording in Logic before? Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Yes....definitely in record mode. Also deleted the audio track and created a new one in the environment but nothing. I looked at the section on Clicks \ports in the Logic 105 video. Thought that might explain this, but no luck. Theres midi activity [ for input] on the transport bar when I highlight the audio track and play my controller. But no output activity [same track] when I put Logic in play. I might try putting this in a new project and see what happens. But this is really weird.......
  • Rounik Admin
    Hi Braden Thanks for the info. I'd be very interested to know if it's just this project. Have you tried using built-in audio, say the built-in mic and trying to record onto the audio track. Does your interface have a software mixer program? Do check it to make sure some of the inputs are not muted. Cheers Rounik
  • Braden
    Hi Rounik I didn't try built- in audio yet, but I tried putting a vocal on the "problem' track and it worked [using the interface] BUT.....the one right below it did not...... There is a software mixer in the 828 but I haven't used it...I went through it anyway and set every level I could find fairly high so at least nothing is shut off or muted from what I could find. Do you think re doing the whole audio layer in the environment would accomplish anything ? I'm running out of possibilities !! Thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    how is the ext. synth connected to your motu 828? I feel we're getting closer to the solution, i hope! Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: