macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Byperue
    TNT Suggestion: Snare rolls and other pencil tricks
    I was looking all over to see if there was any tutorial on this and did not find any The quick and easy way to create a snare roll using Ultrabeat or other drum sampler. Use the piano roll? Hyper Editor? And when creating the snare roll, going from 8th to 16th to 32nds and variations thereof... I bet there are a lot of other tricks one could use with that pencil and the piano roll/hyper editor, playing with velocity, etc. Considering the emphasis on electronic music in these tutorials, this seems like a natural. THANKS. Drew
  • steveH
    Re: TNT Suggestion: Snare rolls and other pencil tricks
    You can draw it in using the line tool in the Hyper Editor in GM Drum hyper-set mode and set the grid for the snare lane to 32nd notes or higher (be sure to select a pen width of 1 or 2!)....and you can easily enter the notes in the Piano Roll by setting the songs division to 32nd notes or higher and using the pencil tool! Or, if you are doing stuff live, you can create an environment to actually "play" the rolls! Your choice!
  • Byperue
    Thanks, Steve, I'll give it a shot.
  • Byperue
    Hey Steve: I followed your first suggestion of using the line tool in the Hyper Editor in the GM drum set. I got it working using the pencil tool, however it wasn't exactly a smooth increase in velocity. I didn't have any luck with the line tool, although I imagine that would be far quicker and create a smoother velocity ramp. This is probably my own naiveté with that particular tool, as I've been using Logic Express 8 for exactly a month. I see how to create the start of a line using that line tool, but when I click it again -- assuming it will create the velocity ramp I've outlined from bottom of one bar to the the top of another -- it just disappears. What am I doing wrong with the line tool? I'm sure it's probably very simple and I'm overlooking it. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. Drew
  • steveH
    My bad.... in Logic 8, enter notes using the pencil tool. Shape their velocities with the line tool... (it was different in successive releases of the software... sometimes it's hard for me to remember which version did what! I owe you one! Steve
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: