macProVideo.com
Forums
  • Jexofio
    Samson C01U USB condensor
    Hi there - I'm loving Logic. It's extraordinary but I have a question to do with Core Audio and external inputs. I have a iMac and run Leopard, and LE 8. I bought a USB condenser mike from Samson the C01U. It got great reviews on the internet. When I first tried it out in Garage Band it sounded great and then I went over to Logic. SInce trying it there - it has become inaudible. It's recognised by the System Preferences, it's there in the Sound Input preferences - but it's set itself down at an almost inaudible level. Even tapping it at full imput only barely registers. I know how to aggregate the mike so that Logic picks it up - but the problem is at the Core Audio level I think - I can't see any other explanation. It's not the unit because I had it exchanged and tested it on other units. Is there something in Core Audio, steered by Logic, that resets external mikes? I'm baffled - as are Apple Care and the people who sold it to me. Any clues?
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: Samson C01U USB condensor
    Hi Les & Welcome to MacProVideo forums! This is a tricky one... what version of Logic are you using & what about your OS? Have you got the samson soft pre app?... [url]http://www.samsontech.com/main/misc.cfm?pageID=45[/url] I've just found this from the Samson website: [url]http://samsontech.com/products/productFAQs.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2[/url] "Using the Samson C01U with Apple Logic (Mac OS X) This is the process of setting up the CO1U to work in Logic. This will only work in OSX 10.4 or later. 10.3 and earlier versions don't have this facility. 1. Open Audio MIDI Setup (from the Applications/Utilities folder) 2. Go to the Audio Menu - Open Aggregate Device Editor. 3. Click on the + button to create a new device 4. It's a good idea to rename it (double click on Aggregate Device in the list and enter the new name eg. CO1U) 5. The list at the bottom of the window will show all the audio devices connected to the computer. Select the ones you want the device to use by checking the �use� button. For instance, if you only have a CO1U connected you will need to check CO1U and Built-in Audio. Check the clock button on one of the devices, not the CO1U. 6. Click Done And that's it. The device will then appear in Logic under Audio Hardware and Drivers as an available I/O." Does that help? Do let us know. Rounik
  • Jexofio
    HI Rounik, Thanks for your prompt reply. I'm running Logic Express 8 and Leopard 5.1. And I've already explored all the articles you mentioned. The problem is not to see the mike in Logic. I can do that using the aggregate. But it's getting the mike to pick up before that - at the system level. It's as if the OS / Core Audio has turned down the microphone input internally - so that it's only at a tiny, negligible level. It's recognised in both Logic and System Preferences. It's just set to a level that is uselessly low.
  • Rounik Admin
    [quote:40568] It's as if the OS / Core Audio has turned down the microphone input internally - so that it's only at a tiny, negligible level. It's recognised in both Logic and System Preferences. It's just set to a level that is uselessly low. [/quote] Hi Les, I see. I guess you've already played with the Input level in system preferences and that hasn't had an effect on the level in Logic? Out of interest, have you ever run 10.4.x successfully with your samson in Logic? Unfortunately, I don't have one to test out, but this workaround might be useful: On your audio track in Logic load a gain plugin on an insert slot. Turn up the gain. If needed, use two gain plugins. This isn't ideal and remember that until you bounce or export your audio recording the gain plugin won't make a difference to the audio files real volume level as Logic records the audio dry. Let us know how that works for you. Cheers Rounik
  • Xulopoe
    My friend had the same issue. Goto this forum post, and read hsmd's reply: http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6494186#6494186 J.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: