macProVideo.com
Forums
  • amerikiwi
    2 questions re buss names and rendering FX without using freeze
    Ok macprovideo people I have another two unrelated questions. 1) First, is it posable to name the buss's? Let's say Buss one was a send to a drum group and buss 10 a 1/8 note Delay fx send. I'd love to see my fader channels say' drum' and 'delay' and not just buss 1, buss 10. any clues? 2) (sorry for the long winded set up here for my second question) I've been enjoying using a plug by apulsoft for realtime soundreplacment. The ' aptrigga2' ,is like soundrepalcer or Drummagog - it looks at a input, say a kick drum, and let's you use that source to trigger a new source like a drum sample from a library. (more on this plug in at http://www.apulsoft.ch/aptrigga/). ok so when I use this, say I am using 2 tracks for my kick drum, one is the original kick sound and the other is a copy of the original but with this Aptrigga inserted to trigger a loaded sample, common stuff nowdays. we'll when I play the two, as I expect it too, I am hearing a delay between the original drum and the sample because of delay latency, normal stuff right? ok here's my question to get around this common problem: I expect this delay, but what I want to do is now is to print a copy of just this altered sample audio so I can then ditch the plug in and time align the wave forms to get the two kicks in synch & phase. how would I do this in Logic 8? In pro tools I would use the plug in as a Audio-suite or RTAS mode plug in and render to file and then re align it. I know and love the 'freeze' feature, but I don't believe using 'freeze' would do it as it wouldn't show me the newly render waveform on screen and I need to see it to time align it to the original kick transient. any help would be great here! thanks so much people I am getting to really love this message board and find myself looking at it quite a lot. Amerikiwi
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: 2 questions re buss names and rendering FX without using fre
    Hey Amerikiwi! 1) Go to the Environment and use the text tool to rename a bus/aux/audio/inst track. Alternatively, visit the Mixer window and double click on the name of the object/bus at the bottom of the channel strip. However, in Logic 8.0.1, despite being able to see the name of the bus in the mixer and environment, it doesn't appear in the sends section or the drop down menu via the sends in the Channel Strip. This could be a feature that was omitted - or got left out when the audio configuration window didn't make it into Logic 8. 2) To 'print' audio in Logic there are a number of methods: a. Bounce: Solo your desired track (or not) and go to File > Bounce... b. Export: Select your desired track(s) and go to File > Export. Same as above but works better for individual tracks, no need to set locators if you want to 'print' the entire track, and doesn't bounce automation. c. Real-time: Route the output of track to a bus. On an empty audio track route the Input to this bus. Record enable this audio track, press record and you are now recording the aptrigga track (for example) in realtime. d. Freezing: My least favourite method personally, as i like to have more control over the audio, and like yourself, prefer to see the waveform. Can be useful on older systems (like my aging Powerbook!) Glad you're enjoying it here Amerikiwi! If you have any more questions let us know. Rounik
  • steveH
    It is absolutely possible to name all you buses and also all your inputs and outputs (handy if you have them normalled to mics and other hardware! Here's how: Goto global menu: Options/Audio/IO Labels Here you will be able to choose between: 1. Generic channel names 2. Names provided by your driver, or 3. User names that you make up, like "drums"! Note that these names are saved as preferences and will be in active in ALL (lemme repeat) ALL projects that you open in Logic. It places a file called "I/O Labels Core Audio" into your ~/Library/Application Support/Logic folder. If you want to switch between your own names and generic just remove this file to the desktop. To go back to your custom names just drag it back! Easy!!! See ya, Steve
  • Rounik Admin
    Steve! Thanks! This one totally passed me by...very useful, if not a pity the names can't be project specific. But hey, I'm gonna stop committing bus numbers and functions to memory now and let those extra brain cells breathe in some creative energy ;-) Cheers Rounik
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: