macProVideo.com
Forums
  • blakeloud
    import an MP3 in to Logic pro 8
    I'm trying to record a track on top of an mp3 my mate sent me in logic pro 8. What's the quickest way to convert an MP3 to a wav.file? Bottom line is that I need to import an mp3 in to logic, on a seperate track. thanks
  • Rounik Admin
    Re: import an MP3 in to Logic pro 8
    Hi blakeloud after importing the mp3 into logic (if you have it in the finder window simply drag it into your arrange window - or find it through the audio bin > audio file > add audio file. In the audio bin, select the imported file and go to: Audio file > copy/convert audio file (ctrl-c) In the copy/covert files as window choose mp3 from the file format drop down menu. Cheers Rounik
  • Daniel H
    I believe when dragging into the arrange window, Logic will automatically convert the file to AIFF format anyway. If you're importing a smaller file you may not even notice this. Only reason I notice is because I often work with audio files in excess of an hour.
  • Christian L
    [quote:23629]I believe when dragging into the arrange window, Logic will automatically convert the file to AIFF format anyway. If [/quote] In fact, Logic will play the mp3 without converting to AIFF. If you want to convert it to AIFF or WAVE, you'll need to do as Rounik explained above and select "WAVE" for the file format.
  • Daniel H
    Really? Any idea what happens when I drag an MP3 into the arrange window and I get a floating progress bar that says "Converting...". I always assumed it was converting the MP3 to AIFF for editing. Sorry... not trying to hijack this thread.
  • Christian L
    [quote:23629]Really? Any idea what happens when I drag an MP3 into the arrange window and I get a floating progress bar that says "Converting...". [/quote] Logic 7 converts mp3 to AIFF but Logic 8 is able to play them without convertion. It will create an overview for the mp3 file (or AAC file) and add a ".ovw" file in the Audio Files folder of the project. The file won't be converted to AIFF and will be smaller in size... This can be useful, but one drawback is that you won't be able to apply fades to compressed audio files.
  • blakeloud
    Simple enough. Thanks
  • Daniel H
    I have Logic 8 and it most definitely still shows a "Converting..." status bar. Then creates the overview of "filename.aif" not .mp3.... Now I'm starting to wonder if something strange is left over from my Logic 7 installation.
  • Christian L
    [quote:23629] Now I'm starting to wonder if something strange is left over from my Logic 7 installation. [/quote] Try converting an AIFF to MP3 with iTunes. Import this MP3 into Logic. Does it work without converting?
  • Daniel H
    Ahhhh... Yes. That worked without converting. Just created the overview. Must just be some attribute of the MP3s my clients are sending me.
You must be logged in to post a reply
Recent Threads
Recent Posts
Feedback
Course Advisor
Don't Know Where To Start?
Ask A Course Advisor
Ask Us!
Copy the link below and paste it into an email, forum, or Facebook to share this with your friends.
Make money when you share our links
Become a macProVideo.com Affiliate!
The current affiliate rate is: 50%
Classes Start Next Week!
Live 8-week Online Certification Classes for: